Food processor, magimix, what magic machine do I need ?

(24 Posts)
didireallysaythat Mon 21-Apr-14 09:05:21

Title says it all. I'd like to be able to

Slice cabbage thinly for coleslaw
Grate vegetables
Chop onions
Make pastry
Make cakes
Maybe make dough

Oh and put it in the dishwasher to wash

I'm not sure what I need... The coleslaw requirement is quite high (strange I know but I like salads but hate shop stuff)

Tia

Wearegoingtobedlehem Mon 21-Apr-14 09:16:52

Hi didi, I think either a kenwood or magimix stand mixer would be the best for your cakes, pastry and dough. I have a kmix for this. I then have a tefal mince and shred express for the chopping side- cleaning is very easy- would this work for you?

Giraffeski Mon 21-Apr-14 09:20:16

You need the Kenwood Prospero.
Stand mixer, food processor and blender.

I love mine and would not change it for the world.

Giraffeski Mon 21-Apr-14 09:21:24
bruffin Mon 21-Apr-14 09:22:32

You cant make decent cakes in a food processor.
Have s look at the Bosch Mum461a which is a stand mixer but comes with slicer,liquidizer and juicers. That is the cheapest one in the range, there is a more expensive one.

bruffin Mon 21-Apr-14 09:31:42
bruffin Mon 21-Apr-14 09:33:30

bosch461a

I have this one

You can get more accesdories such ss icecream maker and chopper

Giraffeski Mon 21-Apr-14 11:10:16

The prospero is a stand mixer! the food processor goes on top

DoItTooJulia Mon 21-Apr-14 11:12:20

I would recommend the smallest magimix processor and a kenwood chef.

I have the super duper, extra large magimix and I wish I'd have done what I recommended above instead!

didireallysaythat Mon 21-Apr-14 22:33:03

Thank you all ! I shall spend time on Amazon comparing machines. I've remembered I have a tefal fresh express (primary colours) which is pretty but can't slice and gets wedged with carrot such that Satan himself couldn't pull it apart to clean. I'm hoping a less technicolour machine will be easier...

I don't bake a lot but the castle-shaoed Madeira birthday cakes required once a year (typically the 12 egg variety) are taxing...

Bunbaker Mon 21-Apr-14 22:55:25

Watching with interest. I have the Bosch MUM461A and it is excellent. Bruffin is right that you need a food mixer for cake making not a food processor.

I just need something for making hummus, pate, breadcrumbs etc as my trusty old Kenwood that I have had for about 25 years is just about worn out.

bruffin Tue 22-Apr-14 05:52:41

Bunbaker
You can get an attachment for the bosch that will do that. Go on the accessories part of the bosch website.

Bunbaker Tue 22-Apr-14 06:47:06

I have had a look and found it, but wondered how good it is.

didireallysaythat Tue 22-Apr-14 08:48:00

I don't make a lot of cakes so I'd rather get one thing that did everything OK than two or more things that did everything really well. Not sure I'm going to get buy in from the rest if the household if I don't eBay/free cycle the liquidiser, electric whisk, stick blender and the tefal thing first (I'd forgotten I've got all these - they have been in a box in the garage since we moved ie not used in 18 months so I have been living without them just fine !)

mrspremise Tue 22-Apr-14 20:03:13

A KitchenAid and a Bamix...

didireallysaythat Tue 22-Apr-14 21:40:42

mrsp does the bamux have a slicing tool (I thought they were stick blenders but I'm possibly confused). I don't think a kitchen aid slices - its one of those big beasts isn't it ?

Bunbaker Tue 22-Apr-14 22:51:15

I have a Bamix and it is worth the money. I use it mainly for soup and salad dressings. I use it a lot because it is easy to clean and doesn't take up a lot of room.

mrspremise Wed 23-Apr-14 10:23:17

You can get an attachment set for the KA that lets you slice, grate and mince as well as all the trad mixing and kneading stuff.

didireallysaythat Wed 23-Apr-14 12:06:53

mrsp is there a particular kitchen aid you'd recommend ? I've looked on Amazon and there are lots of hits, mostly for replacement accessories I think perhaps.

PandaG Wed 23-Apr-14 12:21:45

I'd go for a Kenwood chef with processor and liquidiser attachments - I've got a titanium and it was the best kitchen investment ever.

Onykahonie Wed 23-Apr-14 13:23:46

I've got a Prospero too...very pleased with it.

Giraffeski Wed 23-Apr-14 15:02:25

Yay team prospero! I love love love mine, use it every day, made the lightest cake ever yesterday in the stand mixer, made pastry the day before in the food processor, and today have used the blender for soup, so all the components get used regularly!

Giraffeski Wed 23-Apr-14 15:03:25

And, my mum has a KA but likes my prospero better, she says the controls are easier and the splatter guard much better.

VeryPunny Thu 24-Apr-14 20:17:58

Kenwood Chef - you can get attachments that do all of the above. Much more powerful motors than Kitchen Aids and mine will outlast me.

That said, I have a Chef, but still use my food processor for slicing and making pastry, and my bamix for general blending stuff and the mini chopper bit. The Chef liquidiser is great though as it can cope with lots of ice. Whole thing goes in the dishwasher.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now