Accompaniment for salmon en croute

(17 Posts)
Thumbcat Mon 14-Apr-14 19:42:32

I have family coming for lunch on Sunday and am planning on making this . To go with it I'm thinking of doing a rice salad with lots of herbs, pine nuts, spring onions and lemony dressing, plus a tomato salad and garlic bread. Do you think this sounds ok? Would a couscous salad be better than rice? I want something I can prepare in advance and just bring out of the fridge, and I find potatoes a bit of a boring option, but am open to suggestions.

TIA

Thumbcat Mon 14-Apr-14 19:43:56

I'm not doing the sauce with the salmon en croute.

Youdontneedacriminallawyer Mon 14-Apr-14 20:01:58

Rice, bread AND pastry is a lot of carbs. I'd be more inclined to serve a green veg like broccoli or French beans, and ditch the rice and bread.

Thumbcat Mon 14-Apr-14 21:16:21

Good point (although I do love a good carb overload). The garlic bread is mainly so I know that DS will at least eat something. Maybe that and green beans.

Youdontneedacriminallawyer Mon 14-Apr-14 22:40:43

I do love salmon en croute though. And that recipe looks good. I've earmarked it for possible future use.

sarahandduck Mon 14-Apr-14 22:46:39

My DH makes a fab salmon en croute and he'll just serve it with either steamed Green veg (broccoli is particularly good) or a dressed rocket salad and baby new potatoes with a dill sauce. It's yummy.

sarahandduck Mon 14-Apr-14 22:48:14
frazzled74 Mon 14-Apr-14 22:51:32

I would put dishes of new potatoes, steamed veg , salad and garlic bread on the table and let the guests decide what to have. I don't think rice would go very well with it but I may be wrong.

Bowlersarm Mon 14-Apr-14 22:53:59

I sometimes make Potato Dauphinoise to go with Salmon en croute; it means the whole meal isn't too dry, and can be made in advance and left in the fridge until you're ready to put it in the oven. Easy peasey. Then just one or two green vegetables.

Nocomet Mon 14-Apr-14 22:54:26

New potatoes and steamed veg. please.

I don't like salad with hot food.

Allalonenow Mon 14-Apr-14 23:05:40

I'm not sure rice salad would go with salmon en croute, it might be all a bit dry and heavy, I'd do potatoes Dauphinoise, a green veg, such as fresh peas or asparagus, and a green salad.

Nocomet Mon 14-Apr-14 23:31:33

Rice stretches left over salmon en croute, but I wouldn't serve ot to start with.

Rosalie82 Tue 15-Apr-14 04:36:30

Green veg is always a good call - I like asparagus with salmon as well!

Slackgardener Tue 15-Apr-14 08:28:00

I'd serve with new potatoes and a green veg - i love warm broccoli salad, or a warm green bean salad, so much more satisfying than green leaves.

Thumbcat Tue 15-Apr-14 09:09:51

Thanks ladies. I'm going to go with sarah's potato recipe and broccoli with lemon butter.

Allalonenow Tue 15-Apr-14 10:30:17

Sounds perfect Thumbcat What time should we all be there? smile

CrimeaRiver Fri 18-Apr-14 03:36:39

I'd do roasted asparagus and gratin dauphinois. Yum!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now