Rhubarb glut recipes

(14 Posts)
MoominMammasHandbag Sun 13-Apr-14 17:16:04

I have stashed enough rhubarb in my freezer to keep us in crumble for months to come. But what should I do with the rest? In particular, does anyone have a good chutney type recipe, or some sort of spiced pickle?

FunkyBoldRibena Sun 13-Apr-14 17:24:36

Do you like wine?

Freeze about two decent family sized ice cream tubs worth in inch long slices in a plastic bag. Then cut the corner off and let it defrost and let the juice drain out. Add 700g sugar, make it up to a gallon with water and then add some wine yeast. Let it ferment until dry and you are good to go. Usually ready to drink in 6-8 weeks.

CuttedUpPear Sun 13-Apr-14 17:31:03

Did you have to blanch it before you froze it?

FunkyBoldRibena Sun 13-Apr-14 17:52:13

No, you don't have to blanch rhubarb before freezing.

AwkwardSquad Sun 13-Apr-14 19:09:03

Spiced rhubarb chutney I make this - it's lovely. Matures into a chutney of distinction. The texture is more like a thick Turkish, it's not a chunky chutney.

AwkwardSquad Sun 13-Apr-14 19:09:33

Relish, not Turkish...

AwkwardSquad Sun 13-Apr-14 19:10:35

And there was a recipe for rhubarb upside down cake in the Guardian that sounded good.

rootypig Sun 13-Apr-14 19:11:46

Well it's not chutney, but rhubarb pannacotta and rhubarb ice cream are both lovely, and I just saw this recipe, which I am planning to make with DC
www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/apr/11/rhubarb-upside-down-cake-recipe

MoominMammasHandbag Sun 13-Apr-14 20:05:32

Thank you, I will definitely be giving some of these a try.

ToffeePenny Sun 13-Apr-14 20:14:22

Make Heston's galette (or just the rhubarb sorbet and the poached rhubarb from it without the pastry and coconut).

Delicious!

mrspremise Mon 14-Apr-14 09:18:19

JAM smile

Lookslikerain Mon 14-Apr-14 19:41:23

I don't have any chutney suggestions but these muffins are delish. I make a lot of them every rhubarb season.

Also, saw this blog post today. Haven't made it but it sounds good. Rhubarb and ginger is a winning combination in my book.

kazzawazzawoo Tue 15-Apr-14 19:31:57

Sorry, I can't find the recipe at the moment, but last year I made rhubarb and vanilla jam. It was lovely. I found it online, maybe you can google it, but if you are interested I'll see if I can find it.

I saw a rhubarb and dark chocolate ice cream recipe on pinterest the other day..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now