what KIND of roast lamb shall I do on Easter Day?

(19 Posts)
Legologgo Sun 13-Apr-14 17:14:33

My mum always does shoulder but she is ace at it not being fatty.
Am i doing a leg, a boned leg, butterfly, what?

Have slightly fussy ILs here who dont like meat to look TOO Much like meat, iykwim.

Will do my usual drive by theft of rosemary from the house up the road...grin

addictedtosugar Sun 13-Apr-14 17:18:22

Slice a cris cross in the top of the lamb, and load with garlic and rosemary.
Then, and this is the important bit, drizzle with oil, and put straight onto a rack in the oven. On the rack below, have a dish of raw, thinly sliced potatoes, with a shed load of butter (not marge) sliced over the top. let the lamb fat and herb flavour drip onto the potatoes.

yummy.

Legologgo Sun 13-Apr-14 17:25:13

that sounds nice - what cut of lamb though, is my question

FourForksAche Sun 13-Apr-14 17:27:15

I'm doing the gammon type of lamb wink

how are you at boning? butterflied lamb with masses of garlic and rosemary is lovely. I think I nicked the idea off the hairy bikers.

Legologgo Sun 13-Apr-14 17:32:13

arf
I thought of leg but i am a cock at carving. then thought I might get boned leg from the butchers...

FourForksAche Sun 13-Apr-14 17:38:13

a butterflied leg is much easier to cut. getting the bone out is tricky though, my worktop resembled something out of Dexter last time I tried.

Legologgo Sun 13-Apr-14 17:41:31

arf
I will get butcher to do it

addictedtosugar Sun 13-Apr-14 18:04:32

I'd do leg of lamb, with the bone in, but I live with people who think chewing on the leg in secret in the kitchen is a treat, so its bones all the way.
Leg (bone in or out) for me tho - shoulder always ends up fatty imo - whats your Mum's trick?

Chewbecca Sun 13-Apr-14 18:08:14

I only do shoulder if it is slow cooked, 5 hours or so @ a low temperature. Fat all runs away (what's the right term for that?!) and you're left with lean meat that can be served with a spoon & fork.
Shoulder is about a tenner cheaper than a leg too.

Legologgo Sun 13-Apr-14 18:13:55

i dont know - i think maybe a low temp it is AMAZING when she does it

likestoski Sun 13-Apr-14 18:15:45

I get a shoulder of lamb (boneless) and stuff with feta, garlic, lemon zest and rosemary. Usually 1.5kg. Cook for 20 mins at 220c fan and then 1 hour at 180c, this will make it medium pink. When you take out oven, squeeze lemon juice over the top and rest for 15 mins. I usually serve with roast potatoes and green salad, made with green beans and courgettes. Yummy!

VivaLeBeaver Sun 13-Apr-14 18:18:47

Do the sharwarma lamb from Jerusalem.

Legologgo Sun 13-Apr-14 18:26:09

oh god its for kids and fussy ILs
NO WEIRDNES at all

* slathers at thought*

SchnitzelVonKrumm Sun 13-Apr-14 18:29:28

Simon Hopkinson's. People complain now if they come for Sunday lunch and we serve something else smile

Legologgo Sun 13-Apr-14 18:32:12

ta schnitzer

anchovies Sun 13-Apr-14 18:44:05

I do Jamie Oliver's lamb shoulder It's delish.

yellowdinosauragain Mon 14-Apr-14 18:07:25

This is the most delicious lamb recipe ever - lamb kleftiko

Bloody easy too and melt in your mouth heaven. Potatoes cooked with it and we serve it with a big Greek salad and mint yogurt do from the recipe. Salivating thinking about it!

Legologgo Mon 14-Apr-14 18:08:12

oh god i LOVE lamb

guineapig1 Mon 14-Apr-14 19:14:37

Also to go with the lamb you could do an apricot stuffing, just make it up as you go along! Onions, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, chopped dried apricots, chopped rosemary and/or mint...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now