Best way of cooking sirloin steak? Pan-fry or grill?

(20 Posts)

Bought some sirloin steak the other day, as I've always fancied having a go at it. Nice Friday tea for dh and I as a treat.

Is it best grilled, or pan-fried?
How long for either method of cooking?

We like it just over medium but not well done. Please advise, many thanks.

HappyGirlNow Fri 04-Apr-14 21:19:40

Here you go grin

Oh I do love a sirloin.. One thing it doesn't say in this guide - take the steaks out the fridge about an hour before cooking to get them to room temperature..

Cheers HappyGirlNow, plenty of info there, you're a star smile

Won't stop us arguing in the kitchen over how its done, though :D

WhatsTheWordHummingbird Fri 04-Apr-14 21:54:47

We had sirloin tonight. I did:

Hot frying pan with a blob of butter
Turn heat down to medium and add steaks
Left alone for four minutes
Flipped
Left alone for four minutes
Took out and rested for five minutes. They were perfect medium.

Oh and thanks for the advice about taking the steaks out of the fridge an hour before smile

Thanks also Hummingbird, Christ I can't wait now, might not be able to wait until next Friday :D

WhatsTheWordHummingbird Fri 04-Apr-14 21:58:45

What accompaniments will you do?

We had roast potatoes, brocoli cheese, grilled tomatoes and peppercorn sauce. Was delish.

Dancingdreamer Fri 04-Apr-14 22:02:56

Charcoal bbq def best way to cook any steak. Sprinkle with plenty of salt and serve with herb butter, jacket potatoes, broccoli (is that the right spelling?) and garlic mushrooms (proper mushrooms cooked in garlic and butter, not those breadcrumb ones!)

HeyMicky Fri 04-Apr-14 22:07:52

Leave the steaks out to get to room temperature. Put loads and loads of salt and pepper on both sides to make a nice crust.

Griddle if you have it, otherwise frypan. Get it as hot as you possibly can. No fat in the pan. Flip the steaks only once. Leave to rest, covered in foil, for at least 5 mins before serving

Whats - was thinking roasties, grilled tomatoes (funnily enough), grilled mushrooms, (maybe garlic mushrooms, dancing, but rubbish at BBQ's) and green beans.

I wanted peppercorn sauce but dh wants blue cheese - serious cause for an argument here lol smile

WhatsTheWordHummingbird Fri 04-Apr-14 22:11:51

LTB.

ROFL :D

HeyMicky - Thanks also, great replies (lol) and advice.

And if I LTB, I'm taking the steak with me smile

An' its peppercorn sauce, GODAMMIT smile

Slackgardener Fri 04-Apr-14 22:55:51

Really hot pan, thick cut dry steak if you want it rare, oiled and well seasoned - more than you would normally. Cook and flip, just like Heston suggested. Length of time depends on steak, heat applied and doneness required - it's impossible to give you a time.

PigletJohn Fri 04-Apr-14 23:57:54

oil the steak, not the pan. Don't keep poking and shifting it or it will stick. Turn about once.

HappyGirlNow Sat 05-Apr-14 06:50:19
BreakingDad77 Sat 05-Apr-14 07:01:00

A good size pan too, don't have them crammed

Thanks again all.

I have a big pan, that's good.
Take out of the fridge an hour beforehand to get to room temp. Oiled, with salt and black pepper rubbed on each side.

Hot pan, flip once, 4 mins-ish each side, and rest. All sounds easy enough.

What could possibly go wrong? :D

Will try the chimichurri sauce after I grow the parsley. It sounds good smile

HeyMicky Sat 05-Apr-14 14:16:14

I went out and bought steak today after this thread!

Serving with a little cheese 'n' mac and loads of garlicky greens. And some red wine

That sounds great, heyMicky. The wine is a very important accompaniment ;)

Enjoy smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now