Excess bananas

(50 Posts)
CorusKate Sat 29-Mar-14 22:28:42

Have half a dozen of the fuckers. They've gone spotty. No one here eats cake. What to do? Help. Please.

CMOTDibbler Sun 30-Mar-14 19:39:13

Chop into slices, and freeze. Then whizz in a food processor. Stir in some nutella. Its like icecream!

CorusKate Sun 30-Mar-14 19:40:25

Lots of lovely ideas here - I'm beginning to consider buying some more bananas so I can try some of them grin

Think I'm going to freeze them in chunks as suggested by GeneralGrevious, as this keeps a couple of my options open. Thanks all!

CharlotteCollins Sun 30-Mar-14 19:41:54

I can't eat a raw banana any more, though, not since a blood test showed I had low potassium. The doctor phoned me when he got the results, on a Friday afternoon, in a bit of a panic as apparently it can be dangerous, and told me to eat 10 bananas by Saturday morning and then check myself into A&E. confused envy <-me after eating them

I was out at friends for dinner that night, too. I had absolutely no room for green Thai curry after 5 sodding bananas.

Sorry. As you were.

CorusKate Sun 30-Mar-14 19:44:45

That's entirely understandable, Charlotte.

I get a sore mouth if I eat them raw. Still do it, though.

Slackgardener Sun 30-Mar-14 20:27:58

Are muffins too cake like?

Banana, poppy seed, orange, ginger and chocolate muffins, they are intensely delicious.

CorusKate Sun 30-Mar-14 21:09:50

Yes, little cakes still count as cake, sadly grin

CharlotteCollins Sun 30-Mar-14 21:32:11

What about banana flapjacks? Are they cake?

Chop and freeze.
Add to blender with cocoa powder and milk.
Voila, amazing banana chocolate milkshake.

CorusKate Sun 30-Mar-14 22:03:46

Ah, a quandary. Are flapjacks cake? For my purposes, they're in the same disallowed category as cake. But an argument could certainly be made that they're not cake.

Slackgardener Sun 30-Mar-14 22:11:42

What is the problem with cake, I'm intrigued.

CorusKate Sun 30-Mar-14 22:43:48

So as not to torture the resident diabetic smile

Slackgardener Sun 30-Mar-14 22:47:13

But surely the banana is anti diabetic - it's full of sugar and has the same effect on the body as the pure white deadly kind? If I was diabetic I wouldn't go near bananas.

CorusKate Sun 30-Mar-14 22:51:17

Apparently they can have small amounts of banana, I think? But I guess it's easier to resist a frozen banana than a big luscious slice of banana cake.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Sun 30-Mar-14 22:54:50

I always have thus problem (my ripe banana aversion is blamed on my second pregnancy) so I'm marking place to nick ideas.

Slackgardener Sun 30-Mar-14 23:00:18

From what I've read, a banana is not so etching I'd offer to a diabetic, in any form. But I know it's a controversial area....I believe diabetics should stay away from starch and sugar and that includes fruit but I know the NHS haven't got there yet. My dad is diabetic hence my interest.

CorusKate Sun 30-Mar-14 23:04:39

I just think it's a bit mean to parade cakes around when you're staying with a diabetic grin

CorusKate Sun 30-Mar-14 23:07:56

What I mean is that normally my first thought would be "Banana bread!" but I was looking for other ideas.

Beamur Sun 30-Mar-14 23:11:21

Compost.
I hate over ripe bananas and any kind of food that features cooked banana. Even banana milkshake makes me gip.
Or what I do, which is give them to a colleague who has a different ripeness threshold to me.

CorusKate Sun 30-Mar-14 23:11:21

None of us really go for cake much anyway, so since threads about using bananas tend to involve a lot of cake suggestions, I just went ixnay on the akecay - and got some really interesting suggestions smile

Slackgardener Sun 30-Mar-14 23:17:19

I'd bin the bananas - if I didn't wish to tempt the diabetic - or I'd freeze them for eats at a time when they were elsewhere.
My mum continues to tempt my dad with sweet treats even though it is killing him, I've tried to suggest she doesn't but she doesn't see why she should avoid sugar and she says my dad always asks for whatever she has, you can't win. sad

CorusKate Sun 30-Mar-14 23:27:47

That's unfortunate, Slack. I don't wish to turn the thread into a discussion of diabetes and self-control, but unsurprisingly, there are people about who can resist the temptation to eat a banana who will nevertheless crack when it comes to cake grin

Back to recipes - some of my bananas have been disposed of with yoghurt. For the rest, the freezer beckons.

CorusKate Sun 30-Mar-14 23:33:07

And I'm sorry about your dad's illness sad

Slackgardener Sun 30-Mar-14 23:51:36

Ahh thanks Kate It's a lifetime well lived he's 82 and he's still active - it's not a bad effort and I have to stop interfering. wink

CharlotteCollins Tue 01-Apr-14 22:00:25

I've just remembered a chicken and banana korma that I had many many years ago, one of the first times I ever ate out. I loved it. Never came across it in any restaurant since.

CorusKate Tue 01-Apr-14 22:57:58

That sounds lovely. I've eaten green banana and plantain in Caribbean curries before but never in an Indian one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now