Excess bananas

(50 Posts)
CorusKate Sat 29-Mar-14 22:28:42

Have half a dozen of the fuckers. They've gone spotty. No one here eats cake. What to do? Help. Please.

OwlCapone Sat 29-Mar-14 22:30:29

They're quite nice eaten frozen.

I freeze them to bake with later but if no one eats cake, that's no use.

CorusKate Sat 29-Mar-14 22:31:11

Do they keep long, frozen? Thanks for the idea.

I freeze them and make cake for work.

CorusKate Sat 29-Mar-14 22:34:55

That's kind of still cake grin

GeneralGrevious Sat 29-Mar-14 22:37:12

Freeze in little pieces then blitz with Greek yoghurt instant ice cream it's delicious

CorusKate Sat 29-Mar-14 22:37:37

Ooh. That's a nice idea.

CorusKate Sat 29-Mar-14 22:51:25

Is there anything else anyone knows I can do with them? Savoury recipes, maybe?

21mealspluscake Sat 29-Mar-14 23:09:25

Peel, wrap in bacon, grill till the bacon is crisp. Serve with roast chicken. My mother did this when I was a kid and it's still great now!

CorusKate Sat 29-Mar-14 23:10:33

shock That sounds so wrong yet so incredibly tasty.

21mealspluscake Sat 29-Mar-14 23:22:02

They're fabulous - and it's only one banana and a grilled rasher...

CorusKate Sat 29-Mar-14 23:27:46

Sodding DP. 9 times out of 10, he eats five bananas in two days. The one time I go, "Right, sod it! I don't care if my arms do fall off walking twenty minutes back from the shop carrying a dozen bananas; it's better than making another trip!" he goes on some kind of banana strike which is nothing to do with manfully disposing of an entire birthday cake over the course of a week, of course.

Bananas, quake in fear, for you will be dealt with most deliciously.

CorusKate Sat 29-Mar-14 23:28:43

I hasten to add I do buy other things; I'm not making emergency banana runs.

legoplayingmumsunite Sat 29-Mar-14 23:34:39

Oh they look lovely. I know your problem, DD2 has phases of eating 2 bananas a day then will announce she doesn't like them (after I've bought the weekly 21 bananas) and then the rest of us can't eat them all before they go black. They can be frozen until you need them for baking but also banana icecream is delicious and very easy to make.

CorusKate Sat 29-Mar-14 23:38:17

My dad used to collar me and my brother, and say, "Eat this" while plonking extremely overripe bananas in our hands.

I've never been able to face bananas as an adult once they're beyond the yellow with brown spots stage.

JamNan Sun 30-Mar-14 11:32:32

Do you like curry or savoury things? This is bloody lovely with cheese or a curry:
CURRIED BANANA CHUTNEY

28 oz sliced bananas
2 finely chopped green bell peppers
2 finely chopped onions
2 cloves finely chopped garlic
8 oz golden raisins
2 teaspoons salt
1 pinch of pepper
2 teaspoons curry powder
1 teaspoon turmeric
¼ teaspoon thyme
1 pinch of ground cloves
1.3 pints white vinegar
2 cups sugar

Mix all the ingredients on a saucepan and simmer for 1 hour. Stir constantly to prevent burning.
Bottle boiling hot in sterilized sealed jars. Cool off.
Remove lids and cover with waxpaper. Screw the lids back on again.
Store in a dark cool place. Enjoy.

woodmouse2 Sun 30-Mar-14 11:45:45

"Peel, wrap in bacon, grill till the bacon is crisp. Serve with roast chicken. My mother did this when I was a kid and it's still great now!"

This reminds me of Chicken Maryland which my aunt made when I was a child - delicious!! I think she fried the bananas. Google for variations on the recipe smile

JuliaScurr Sun 30-Mar-14 11:57:56

yes - Maryland Chicken
I remember my aunt eating it in a restaurant when I was about 8 in 1732 I was astonished it was so exotic

DulcetMoans Sun 30-Mar-14 12:05:56

I had the same problem! I wanted bananas that were a bit battered to make a cake. They were 3 for £1 on the market but the guy saw me as an opportunity to get rid of his old ones so have me 11 for 50p! Lovely and all but what to do 11 bloody battered bananas!

I made banana and walnut cake and some banana bread but still have 3 left. Doesn't sound like cake/bread is for you though... Smoothies?!

CorusKate Sun 30-Mar-14 12:34:31

Oh now we do eat a fair bit of chutney. Well, I guess today is d(ecision)-day. I'll let you all know what happened to the bananas, as I'm sure everyone who posted is on tenterhooks waiting to find out what dispatch method I select smile

capsium Sun 30-Mar-14 12:36:34

Good for fruit smoothies. Add raspberries for example and liquidise.

capsium Sun 30-Mar-14 12:37:30

Could slow oven bake to make dried banana slices to add to cereal.

capsium Sun 30-Mar-14 12:38:54

Liquidise with yoghurt and freeze in lolly moulds.

figgypuddings Sun 30-Mar-14 12:42:23

Over ripe bananas make amazing icecream. Put them all in a blender until they are smooth then add any bits you like. Chocolate chip is good, I added broken up peanut brittle, smashed up Oreos, etc.

Freeze them and attack it with a fork now and again.

CharlotteCollins Sun 30-Mar-14 19:33:03

When I lived in Africa for a while, bananas were the cheapest fruit. We often made "hot banana pud": fry chopped bananas in butter, brown sugar and a little orange juice, for about 5 minutes. Serve with plain yoghurt and chocolate sprinkles if you have them.

DCs and I love it, so I can use six or seven bananas to feed the five of us if I need to. Mind you, we love banana bread, so I never need to!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now