Finger foods for dd for lunch ideas

(14 Posts)
Beechview Thu 13-Mar-14 15:27:08

Dd (almost 17 months) only wants finger foods for lunch. She is happily spoon fed breakfast and dinner but refuses at lunch hmm

She won't eat sandwiches(but loves toast), cheese or pasta and only seems to like white fish.
I'd like to make some things and keep them in the freezer.

I can only think of chicken nuggets, fish fingers/fish cakes or omelette/frittata.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated!

UnicornCrisps Thu 13-Mar-14 15:38:48

pancakes: either one mashed banana or one tin mashed sweetcorn plus two eggs, dry fried on a low heat.

veg muffins: www.mumsnet.com/food/recipe/742-Cheesy-vegetable-muffins also nice as blueberry muffins

homemade pizza minus cheese. I use a multipurpose sauce: passata, grated carrot, finely chopped broccolli, frozen spinach, spoonful of soft cheese, garlic/herbs. Use on pasta, pizza, fish etc.
crumpets with beans

sweet potato / parsnip / carrot chips

chicken meatballs: shredded chicken breast, grated apple, egg, breadcrumbs made into little sausage shapes and baked

UnicornCrisps Thu 13-Mar-14 15:40:14

I'm cooking for a youbger baby so apologies if those are no good.

Beechview Thu 13-Mar-14 15:50:51

They're brilliant! thanks.

I like the idea of adding a spoon of cream cheese into a sauce and onto a pizza base.

I wonder if I could add some chopped spinach to the meatballs instead of apples for a variation? or carrot?

Muffins would be good for taking out.

NancyinCali Thu 13-Mar-14 16:02:21

I do quesadilla a lot but obviously usually with cheese - maybe you could do mashed avocado instead? Would she eat hummus on toast? My DD likes mini pitta breads with hummus. I also do chicken nuggets, chunks of cooked chicken, mini bagels and cream cheese, the classic American kids lunch of PB&J sandwich (but with almond butter and a fruit-sweetened jam).

My DD is 23 months but has finger food for lunch usually too so I'm interested in getting some good ideas from this thread too.

DomesticSlobbess Thu 13-Mar-14 16:56:51

DS is 3 now but has always loved a frittata I make using eggs (obviously), potatoes, peas and smoked salmon (use salmon trimmings to make it cheaper) and a little bit of dill. It can be eaten hot or cold. A small triangle of that is perfect to pick up and eat.

Something in a pitta or wrap? Those BBQ chicken pieces you can buy in a pack are really yummy.

Wishfulmakeupping Thu 13-Mar-14 17:02:23

Omelettes
Cous Cous
Crumpets
Pitta bread with hummus
Most if the time she likes a but of everything so I stick ham, cheese, cucumber, bread roll, fruit on her tray and let her pick at it

Wishfulmakeupping Thu 13-Mar-14 17:03:43

Muffin recipe looks good- would you boil the broccoli first?

UnicornCrisps Thu 13-Mar-14 17:48:52

I never pre cook the veg, just chop quite small and it cooks soft in the muffin.

Lookslikerain Thu 13-Mar-14 19:00:01

Some good ideas here. We do homemade mini burgers a lot. Easy to make, freeze well and not long to defrost and cook. I've done pork/apple, gingered pork or chicken (loosely based on this recipe, chicken/sweetcorn. Almost anything works and great for hiding a bit of grated veg!

What about dips? My DD (just turned 2) loves dipping. Humous, guacomale, bean dips, salsas dipped with breadsticks, pitta, toast, veg sticks etc.

Does she hate cheese in every form? My DD loves cheese scones and cheese straws which aren't as cheesy as eating a piece of cheese, iykwim.

We have this book too which has some good ideas.

Wishfulmakeupping Thu 13-Mar-14 19:12:33

Thank unicorn will give them a go smile

Boiled egg with toast soldiers?

Beechview Fri 14-Mar-14 07:59:55

Fab ideas. Thanks. I'm sure I can get away with cheese in muffins or scones so I will give those a go.

mrspremise Fri 14-Mar-14 20:11:11

make some falafel!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now