Ploughman's lunch inspiration needed

(11 Posts)
Twinkletights Thu 06-Mar-14 13:33:04

I would really like to make a Ploughmans lunch at the weekend and need some inspiration for what to include.

So far I am planning:
Nice bread
Pâté
Cold meat of some sort
Cheese, variety but not sure what
Pickles and chutney
Cos lettuce
Grape
Sliced green apple
Cold beer or cider

What am I missing?

I thought that a ploughmans was usually meat or cheese or at a pinch and if you feeling a bit gallic pate.

I think it sounds like you are already going above and beyond a basic ploughmans and I don't think you need anything else.

Although you could do a some sort of cold pie, crisps and a salad such as coleslaw or rice salad. grin

Swifey Thu 06-Mar-14 13:37:00

Pickled onions, farmhouse butter, a strong cheddar and some Stilton, thick cut Wiltshire ham, celery, can't think of any more!! I think you're good to go. Making me hungry though! X

Twinkletights Thu 06-Mar-14 13:53:18

Mrscakes I am not sure what a Ploughman's should have in it and have just listed what I like to graze on!

Pickled onions I had forgotten those, yummy, thank you Swifey

What do you put in a rice salad?

Rice grin

And some chopped pepper, spring onions, maybe sweetcorn and a bit of whatever dressing you have. My DMum puts raisins in as well, but she puts them in carrot salad and curry so I'm not sure that is a recommendation.

Twinkletights Thu 06-Mar-14 14:01:43

grin

I really like the sound of carrot salad too thank you

HeirToTheIronThrone Thu 06-Mar-14 14:06:30

Homemade coleslaw. At a pub near me they do a sausage ploughmans which is pretty awesome!

Twinkletights Thu 06-Mar-14 15:39:07

Oh sausage Ploughman's sounds delicious as well!

FrankUnderwood Thu 06-Mar-14 15:59:09

Boiled egg.

Twinkletights Thu 06-Mar-14 19:48:30

Boiled egg added to the list, always feels a bit retro with salad stuff

Hoppinggreen Fri 07-Mar-14 22:43:42

They usually have porked pie on I think

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now