Savoy cabbage - what can I do with it?

(13 Posts)
ali23 Tue 04-Mar-14 19:54:32

I'm stuck! Have a large Savoy cabbage and no idea what to make with it? Any inspiration?

Jemimapuddleduk Tue 04-Mar-14 19:59:36

There is a Jamie Oliver pasta dish with savoy, pasta bows, pancetta, garlic, mozzarella, olive oil, Parmesan and thyme. It's really good.

Catsmamma Tue 04-Mar-14 20:02:30

shred it and steam/saute it in shallow pan, enough water to cover the bottom of the pan and a nice big dod of butter. Plenty of S&P

great as a veg

or mis in with mash to make lovely colcannon.

Lamu Tue 04-Mar-14 20:07:01

Have it as a side dish, braised (sp?) with shallots and pancetta. Yum.

nbee84 Tue 04-Mar-14 20:24:13

This soup is delicious.

ali23 Tue 04-Mar-14 20:29:59

Yum! Thanks...really fancy the soup and the Jamie Oliver pasta x

It's lovely with bacon and carraway seeds

ShoeWhore Tue 04-Mar-14 22:31:20

I like it steamed lightly with creamy mash and really good sausages and homemade onion gravy.

Or I would make minestrone and throw a few handfuls of shredded savoy cabbage in at the end.

JamNan Wed 05-Mar-14 08:28:09

Stuffed cabbage leaves is nice -a basic vegetarian RECIPE HERE but lots more on BBC GF. You could add minced pork or sausage meat instead of chestnuts.

I have always wanted to try cooking a whole stuffed cabbage like this THIS picture here

Cantdothisagain Wed 05-Mar-14 10:12:04

The Jamie pasta is fabulous! Do try!

I love it just finely shredded, and steamed. I put a couple of centimetres of water in the bottom of the pan, and put a knob of butter and a generous grating of nutmeg on top, and steam it - when the butter is all melted, the cabbage is ready to serve - still crisp and nutty, and delicious!

My dogs like it when we have cabbage - I give them the dark green outer leaves, as I find them a bit bitter - a labrador (or lab pointer cross), holding a big cabbage leaf by the stalk, with a huge fringe of cabbage round her mouth, is a very funny sight! It does make them a bit farty, though...

JamNan Wed 05-Mar-14 11:11:13

Jamie Oliver's recipe
Farfalle with Savoy Cabbage, Pancetta, Thyme and Mozzarella

This pasta dish can be on the table in less than 30 minutes.

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:

10 strips pancetta or lean bacon, thinly sliced
Olive oil
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 good handful thyme, leaves picked from the stem
1/2 large Savoy cabbage (outer leaves removed), quartered, cored, and finely sliced
Handful grated Parmesan cheese
1 pound dried farfalle
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Extra-virgin olive oil 7 ounces fresh buffalo mozzarella, cut into 1/2-inch dice
2 handfuls pine nuts, lightly toasted

Preparation:

In a pan fry off pancetta in a little olive oil until lightly golden.
Add garlic and thyme and cook until softened.
Add the Savoy cabbage and Parmesan cheese
stir and put the lid on the pan
Cook for a further 15 minutes, shaking every now and again, while you cook farfalle in salted boiling water until al dente.
When the cabbage is nice and tender, season and loosen with some nice peppery extra-virgin olive oil.
Toss the drained farfalle pasta into the cabbage and at the last minute mix in mozzarella and pine nuts. Serve immediately.
Yield: 4 servings

This Savoy cabbage recipe is from Jamie Oliver’s book “The Naked Chef Takes Off” (also sold under the title “The Naked Chef Returns“) .

Sounds lovely JamNan I must try that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now