lasagne

(12 Posts)
misstiredbuthappy Tue 04-Mar-14 19:02:44

Whats the best/easiest/tastiest was of making lasagne ? I made it a while ago and it didnt look or taste right. Dd had it at school and wants it one night

LyndaCartersBigPants Tue 04-Mar-14 19:45:20

Whenever I make bolognese I make twice as much as I need so that bit is already done. Stick it in the freezer and just defrost the day before you need it.

Then just make a big pan of white bechemel <sp?> sauce.

Layer bolognese
pasta
white sauce
pasta
bolognese
pasta
white sauce
lots of cheese (cheddar or parmesan, whatever you fancy)

Cook in the oven for about an hour at about 160. If it starts to get too brown before the pasta is cooked through I put foil or a baking tray on top of it for protection.

Pasta straight from the box is fine as long as you have plenty of sauce between each layer so the moisture can go into the pasta and cook it. Some people pre-cook it or use fresh pasta sheets, but dried is so cheap and easy, it just needs long slow cooking.

misstiredbuthappy Tue 04-Mar-14 19:50:23

Thank you sounds lovely

murasaki Tue 04-Mar-14 22:47:54

I always use this one, works perfectly - and dried lasagne sheets are fine

www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/chefs/gordon-ramsay/gordon-s-lasagne-recipe

MuttonCadet Tue 04-Mar-14 22:53:54

I have always done:
Meat, pasta, white sauce, meat, pasta, white sauce.
So that the white sauce in the middle is adjacent to the meat above. But I could be very wrong (I'm not Italian - or much of a cook).

I usually use dried no pre cook lasagne. To make sure they get enough moisture, I top them with a watery vegetable e.g. raw sliced mushrooms and/or courgettes alternating meat, pasta, mushrooms, and finally the sauce.

My dh adores lasagne, and I have made many as a result. I think the fresh lasagne sheets are far better- easier to cut to size and guaranteed not to be too sticky. I do meat, pasta, white sauce, pasta, meat, pasta, white sauce, cheese. I use a Lisa Faulkner recipe from her book recipes from my mother to my daughter, in which she adds a spoon of marmite to the meat- I hate marmite, but the meat layer is so unctuous and meaty as a result of it, I always have a jar for this sole use. It's a very good lasagne recipe.

I don't rate jamies lasagne which includes a layer of roasted squash and creme fresh instead of proper white sauce.

On the topic of white sauce, I genuinely think it's worth infusing your milk with a clove studded onion and bay leaf- it's poncy and a faff, but it really makes the difference IMO.

Hoppinggreen Fri 07-Mar-14 22:41:37

Do you all use white sauce rather than cheese sauce?
Putting a layer of sauce in the middle sounds a good idea.

chocolatespiders Fri 07-Mar-14 22:47:33

Made this for first time last week and dragged an old mums net thread up with so many different ways of layering it!!
I made a cheese sauce but not sure if that is right.
I also did what someone else suggested made spag bog and froze half to use in the lasagne!
My 2 loved it -must do it again soon

DomesticSlobbess Sat 08-Mar-14 11:17:12

I use this recipe...

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/10602/classic-lasagne

I leave out the proscuitto and scale down the recipe to feed 4 rather than 6. The sauces are make ahead ones and are enough to feed 12, so I make all the sauce and divide it into 3, use one for that day then freeze the other two to save time when I make it again.

DomesticSlobbess Sat 08-Mar-14 11:18:00

Make a bolognaise but a bit more runny

Layer;
Bolognaise
Dried lasagne
White or cheese sauce
Repeat all three
Top with grated cheese

Bake til the cheese bubbles.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now