Salty snacks that aren't fatty

(33 Posts)
catsofa Tue 25-Feb-14 22:17:44

I've stopped smoking (hooray!) and gained weight (boo!). I'm starting to try to deal with the weight gain now because I'm so uncomfortable.

I've always been a grazer and need to replace my snack foods with things that aren't so full of fat as the endless crisps I've always eaten. What I find I crave is salt, and I can't think of much that's salty but not fatty.

I guess ultimately I should be cutting down on salt too, but I'd prefer to take one thing at a time. So, can anyone suggest snack foods which are salty but not fatty?

I love limes, if anyone can think of anything to be dipped in lime and salt - this is common in some countries but I can't remember what is usually dunked. Not at all averse to loads of raw veg if I can find some way to make it salty. I lurve soy sauce.

TheReturnoftheSmartArse Wed 26-Feb-14 13:46:53

Twiglets

Timeforabiscuit Wed 26-Feb-14 17:50:59

gherkins!!!

catsofa Fri 28-Feb-14 19:20:51

Brilliant thanks everyone, loads of great ideas there! I'm off to Tesco with a very long list...

Wasn't it on here that someone suggested roasting potato skins ie the peelings with oil/salt? Then everyone went and tried it and was amazed at how fabulous it was.
Still on my list of Things To Try.

catsofa Sat 01-Mar-14 02:36:33

That has GOT to be fabulous, and could you not use potato peelings from peeling potatoes for something else?

There is oil in that recipe though, won't that make it fatty?

In fact what I've been finding is that things without fat in them are a bit dry, which makes sense, I guess fat is often a lubricant.

So I guess the most useful things might turn out to be wet things that are salty - oh dear, and salt saps moisture, doesn't it?

Are there things I should know about fat - aren't some fats better than others? Olive oil is "good" isn't it? Can I eat as many crisps as I want if I make them myself with olive oil? (This can't be right can it. Tries not to get hopes up.)

BTW thanks to all on this thread, I have happily stuffed myself with corn and pretzels and other things up thread all evening grin

crazykat Sat 01-Mar-14 05:23:13

Original flavour popchips are lovely and salty. Low fat and quite low calorie. Boots have individual packs and sainsburys have a big bag. Avoid the sainsburys own though, they taste nice but have maltodextrin in which doesn't agree with a lot of people including me.

siblingrevelry Sat 01-Mar-14 13:07:35

Nigella does a thing with cauliflower florets sprinkled with cumin & sea salt and roasted in the oven. Might be worth a google; assuming there's no oil used it'd be fat free & low cal.

Huge congrats on the smoking-it's been 8 yrs for me, still the hardest thing I ever did and one of the things I'm most proud of. Stick with it, it gets easier!

SoftSheen Sat 01-Mar-14 13:13:51

pretzels

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now