Joint webchat with Conservative and Labour housing minister and shadow housing minister, MONDAY 2 MARCH 1pm x

Who was it that told me us to buy that lotus spread?!

(132 Posts)
ArrivedAtPanicStation Tue 25-Feb-14 22:07:03

THANKS A LOT.

I've eaten half a car in 2 days!!! I keep going at it with a damn spoon. It is seriously the most delicious thing I think I have ever tasted.

Joules68 Tue 25-Feb-14 22:08:09

What is it?

ArrivedAtPanicStation Tue 25-Feb-14 22:09:00

Err, half a jar...

ArrivedAtPanicStation Tue 25-Feb-14 22:10:42

This is the offending, delicious, item.

I have it in crunchy though.

NoPainNoGainNoFunNoPoint Tue 25-Feb-14 22:14:44

It's bloody gorgeous. It's like buttery biscuit spread for your toast.

LaundryLegoLunch Tue 25-Feb-14 22:21:26

I cannot have it in the house as I am utterly helpless in its presence. It never makes it onto toast...

sarahandduck Tue 25-Feb-14 22:22:55

Ooh I've had a jar in the cupboard for a while now. Might open it tomorrow....what do you put it on other than toast?

Anjou Tue 25-Feb-14 22:25:11

I'm guessing there's a photo in your post, Arrived, but I can't see it on my phone. When you say 'Lotus' do you mean the bloody lovely, sometimes singularly wrapped and accompanies a proper cup of coffee, caramelised biscuit?

LaundryLegoLunch Tue 25-Feb-14 22:40:34

I put it on a spoon then into my mouth. It is shameful how gluttonous it makes me.

PhoneSexWithMalcolmTucker Tue 25-Feb-14 22:43:58

Ah, the crack spread. Also nice stirred into sponge cake mix before baking, although tbh the finger spoon was its usual vehicle in our house.

BicarbBetty Tue 25-Feb-14 23:00:25

Oooo I LOVE this stuff. It's so good spread on hot crumpets so it oozes through the little holes mmmmmm

I prefer smooth to crunchy but it took me a lot of taste testing to reach this conclusion wink

FayeKorgasm Tue 25-Feb-14 23:04:06

I've just added a jar to my ocado order.

Am I on a dangerous path?

sarahandduck Tue 25-Feb-14 23:05:57

Mmmm, crumpets. Will try that tomorrow smile

NoPainNoGainNoFunNoPoint Tue 25-Feb-14 23:06:04

Anjou yes, the little caramel biscuits in the red and white packets you can get at some tea shops. They've brought out a spread which can be crunchy or smooth. I like the crunchy.

You can buy the biscuits themselves in some supermarkets. They also do a chocolate covered one.

Anjou Wed 26-Feb-14 09:09:20

Thanks NoPain. I but the packs by the dozen from the supermarket but Holy Hell I had no idea there was a spread! This is like some kind of beautiful dream. <toddles off in a daze>

Laymizzrarb Wed 26-Feb-14 09:35:38

Sorry. It was me. It's on special at the moment in Sainsburys so no need to place an order with Ocado either :-)

Amrapaali Wed 26-Feb-14 09:39:54

Sorry doesnt do it for me. Too sweet.

But Sainsbury's have a popping candy chocolate spread. Makes me feel 8 again.

Amrapaali Wed 26-Feb-14 09:41:14

Ta-daah!!

IHaveSeenMyHat Wed 26-Feb-14 09:42:54

It is AMAZING.

I don't particularly want to spread it on toast though. It's to be eaten off the spoon whilst whimpering with pleasure.

Mignonette Wed 26-Feb-14 09:45:04

I think it might have been me on a thread started (I think) by Tee.

It is lush isn't it? I made a cake with it in the filling <swoon>

Edendance Wed 26-Feb-14 10:05:15

It's also dairy and egg free!!

dexter73 Wed 26-Feb-14 10:05:42

It's also nice mixed with vanilla ice cream (as is the popping candy chocolate spread).

AtomicMitten Wed 26-Feb-14 10:07:46

Oooooooh, how was the cake and how do I make it?

dexter73 Wed 26-Feb-14 10:07:54

My dd'd friend used to get some for us from Belgium where it is called speculoos (sp?). I think it was originally made by someone who took it to a dragons den style programme in Belgium and it became very popular afterwards.

Mignonette Wed 26-Feb-14 10:13:38

Atomic

It is a basic sponge cake and I brushed the layers of sponge with what they call a 'soak' which can be either sugar syrup or some liqueur- I used Frangelico which is a Hazelnut liqueur. I then heated the Lotus in a microwave to make it easier to spread and smoothed a very thin layer onto the bottom sponge layer. Topped with icing sugar sweetened whipped cream (Creme Chantilly) it made a pretty decadent cake.

I think you could use other liqueurs such as Chambord (berries) or Kirsch (cherries) too. Or even a thin layer of cherry jam or lime/lemon curd.

It has that digestive biscuit-y flavour so am planning to make a kind of deconstructed Key Lime Pie by sandwiching layers of sponge with Lotus, Lime curd and cream!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now