Help! Desperate mum needs food ideas

(17 Posts)
flowerpowergirl Tue 04-Mar-14 04:24:43

Thx. Trying not be make it into a big deal with her. I think she just doesn't like the taste of the sauces. Eg she doesn't like cheese or tomato so that rules out a lot of sauces. I'm sure we'll get there in the end. I just need to keep persevering. Thx all

TelephoneTree Wed 26-Feb-14 21:50:56

Oh dear - how stressful. Will she eat pulses - they're a really good source of protein. What is it about sauces that she objects to? I'd be inclined on working on her with that - that will open up all sorts of options for her which she will be very grateful for in social situations...

MerryMarigold Wed 26-Feb-14 15:01:44

flowerpot, the other day I gave ds a tomato-ey sauce in a bowl (we all had it with the pasta, but he had plain pasta - yuck) and he poured it all over his pasta. I nearly died with shock!

flowerpowergirl Wed 26-Feb-14 14:40:26

Thank you all so much for the great ideas I really appreciate it! thanksthanks She does love cooking although is frequently disappointed when she doesn't like it.. But we should definitely do more cooking together at weekends. Mid week just too busy with homework blah blah. We do sometimes have pork so that's a good option and I sometimes make a separate sauce for the rest of us. I'll stick at it & hope she's not so fussy into adulthood! Thx.

Have you tried chicken or turkey goujons? Just dip in flour, egg, breadcrumbs. I used to do that when I was a child.

Something like

www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/chickengoujons_82608

CharlotteCollins Tue 25-Feb-14 21:58:00

Home-made fish fingers as a last-ditch attempt on the seafood front?

Vegetarian food.

Failing that, why not cook dishes that you like and let her pick out the bits that she can tolerate? For example, you have fish, rice and vegetables. She can have the rice and vegetables.

MerryMarigold Tue 25-Feb-14 20:45:55

I have a very 'fussy eater'. It gets worse when he is anxious or stressed, and it's nearly impossible to get him to eat. He has a similar allergy to sauces! He also doesn't like meat or fish, but he will eat Tuna.

Have you tried fish cakes? They are nice and dry and not too fishy.

Macaroni cheese is a staple of ds1's. With bacon or pancetta.

Home made pizza with pepperoni.

Sausages.

Omelette.

Hope you eat pork!

Lovelybitofsquirrel Tue 25-Feb-14 20:40:56

Try the Good Food website
www.bbcgoodfood.com

tassisssss Tue 25-Feb-14 20:36:33

Nigella's chicken and chorizo is fab

here

addictedtosugar Tue 25-Feb-14 20:27:51

What about thighs or drumsticks?
We eat these roasted with
a) coriander and garlic stuffed under the skin
b) with honey and soy sauce dribbled over

Stir fry, fajatas, risotto (will that class as sauce?).

Good luck!

nickymanchester Tue 25-Feb-14 19:00:34

There are quite a lot of good chicken recipes here along with lots of photos:-

smittenkitchen.com/recipes/#Poultry

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 25-Feb-14 18:35:09

Agree with great smile

TheGreatHunt Tue 25-Feb-14 18:09:11

Get her cooking with you then trying her own meals? I was cooking at that age.

MilkRunningOutAgain Tue 25-Feb-14 18:06:21

I have been trying to think of chicken or beef meals without any sauce and it isn't easy.

Home made beef burgers / kebabs / turkey burgers are lovely and the texture works much better than chicken
Marinade chicken chunks in soy sauce, pressed garlic, sugar and lime/ lemon juice, put on skewers and grill
Wrap chicken in bacon, stuff with cheese first if you like

A friend's child who seems similar to your dd likes veggie burgers, not sure which brand they are, but you can't really tell they are veg based. In your position I might be inclined to make a batch of Turkey burgers, freeze, defrost one at a time for your dd and cook something different for the rest of the family.

flowerpowergirl Tue 25-Feb-14 15:28:20

Oops pressed send too soon. As I was saying she doesn't like things with a sauce nor any spices. We live in Asia but she doesn't like Asian food plus she has a nut allergy so eating out here is very hard. Luckily my DS eats anything as do I but I don't want go be cooking multiple meals every night! Please help. I swear if I have to cook another chicken breast this week I will scream! Sorry to rant. All suggestions gratefully received. Thx. Btw I have tried all the usual getting them to eat tactics and she ate widely as a toddler. I don't know where it all went wrong. So infuriating.

BellaVida Tue 25-Feb-14 15:22:24

Could you shred some chicken cooked in spices and put put some shredded peppers, lettuce, grated cheese etc and make your own wraps? We use Quorn or fish fingers too and mine love the DIY element.

Or what about egg noodles and a quick stir fry. You could always gave a sauce on the side for those who want it.

flowerpowergirl Tue 25-Feb-14 15:18:57

Does anyone have any quick and easy recipes for chicken dishes? I have a fussy 10 year old who won't eat any seafood and basically we only eat chicken or beef. As I am trying not to feed them too much red meat we are basically eating chicken most days and I am soooo bored! She won't eat anything with a sauce

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now