What new recipes/foods have you cooked this week?

(32 Posts)
ScrambledSmegs Sat 22-Feb-14 18:16:19

And what were the results?

Mine have been -

1) Broccoli stalks. Never cooked just the stalks before, normally have florets. They were nice, but I think next time I will peel them as the outside was a bit woody. Will probably do again, just because it saves money.

2) Focaccia. Unbelievably easy and tasty, will definitely make again. Especially as I could do most of the kneading in the food processor.

3) Marmalade loaf cake with orange icing. Heaven.

Number three sounds lovely.

I made a mushroom, red wine and Stilton pie the other day - it was gorgeous. I got the idea from a Simon Rimmer recipe for a peppered mushroom pie, but then ignored the recipe completely and invented my own.

ScrambledSmegs Sat 22-Feb-14 19:36:00

Ooh, that sounds good. Can you post your recipe please?

My loaf cake was a Nigel Slater one from the guardian website. I have loads of homemade marmalade this year and it sounded so good. Think it's called Frosted Marmalade Cake <poncerama> It's called icing, Nige!

mrspremise Sat 22-Feb-14 19:44:57

Earlier in the week I made red pepper and walnut pesto out of Good Food, then yesterday I made a Lamb à la Bourguinnone. I don't think I'll ever make it with beef again smile

Thurlow Sat 22-Feb-14 19:50:25

I'm an awful cook but I made an oven bacon and tomato risotto and it was delicious, very proud of myself!

KarenBrockman Sat 22-Feb-14 19:52:54

Very simple Mackerel dip. Mackerel, 0% fat Greek yoghurt and black pepper stirred in a bowl. I am going to make more tomorrow, it was so tasty.

loveliesbleeding1 Sat 22-Feb-14 19:55:51

I made a different carbonara using no cream, that I was very pleased with,grinand a tuna and broccolli and mushroom pasta bake that nobody liked.sad

EatShitDerek Sat 22-Feb-14 19:56:06

I made.coconit and banana buns tonight. I had 24 at half 5. I have 19 left now. I am alone too.

nkf Sat 22-Feb-14 19:57:36

I love anything to do with mackerel. I will be using that dish one day very soon.

I currently have a Nigella recipe for quick calabrian lasagne in the oven, it smells good.
I've not done as much cooking as I'd like recently as I have hurt my ribs from coughing.

Clutterbugsmum Sat 22-Feb-14 20:05:44

Nothing this week. But really need to start cooking new things as am bored stiff with what we are eating.

ScrambledSmegs Sat 22-Feb-14 20:07:28

Calabrian lasagne sounds fantastic, will have to put that one on the list to try.

PatTheHammer Sat 22-Feb-14 20:11:30

I roughly followed a recipe for salmon, puy lentils and spinach last night. It was nice and tasted kind of wholesome rather than wow iykwim.

Dp would love that mackerel thing. What kind of mackerel was it? Smoked?

Mushroom pie - fry a diced onion, diced leek and crushed garlic clove for a minute then add a punnet of cleaned and halved mushrooms. Add a teaspoon of Marmite and a big glug of red wine and cook down until wine has halved or so. Shove in pie dish and crumble over a load of Stilton then top with pastry, slash top, egg wash if cba and cook until golden.

Oh I have the book with Nigel's marmalade cake in, so might well give it a try.

Mrswellyboot Sat 22-Feb-14 20:13:39

I baked a cherry and coconut loaf from the bbc site. It tuned out lovely but was a bit too brown. I only had brown sugar and might lower the temperature next time.

EatShitDerek Sat 22-Feb-14 20:17:33

Oh and I made my own coleslaw which tastes like KFC's one!

ScrambledSmegs Sat 22-Feb-14 21:19:57

I've never had kfc's coleslaw. Is it good?

I use the perfect coleslaw recipe online, it's very good. Can't be arsed with the 2 different types of cabbage though, I stick with white cabbage and carrot and it's delicious.

KarenBrockman Sat 22-Feb-14 21:28:30

Yes smoked ready in a pack mackerel, just take the skin off. Easy, little washing up and quick.

Cheers. Dp will love that.

AuntPittypat Sat 22-Feb-14 21:57:17

I made a banana and Nutella cake which, unusually for me, was delicious!

EatShitDerek Sat 22-Feb-14 22:03:38

Scrambled its my favourite coleslaw of all. Also only one cabbage for me too. With carrot and spring onion, it's delish

sleeplessinderbyshire Sat 22-Feb-14 22:12:17

Tonight I made a chocolate cardamom banana cake which was delicious for udding after a not very original but extremely delicious Lasagne

Taffeta Sat 22-Feb-14 22:57:16

A new apple cake recipe off here
Hugh FW baked chicken curry

The curry was lovely but the house stinks. I make lots of curry but for some reason this one really reeks. Maybe the fenugreek?

Snowdown Mon 24-Feb-14 15:01:19

Made a new chocolate chip cookie recipe which required melting the butter in a saucepan and then mixing in the other ingredients - odd method but it worked and no waiting around to soften butter.
Made a leek, ham and cherry tomato frittata from leftovers, not particularly new or exciting but dd hates leek and this time she loved it!
Tonight I shall make a Lancashire hotpot with lamb kidneys - none of us have had kidneys before, so that will be interesting - I'll keep domino's number to hand!

MilkRunningOutAgain Mon 24-Feb-14 20:13:16

Made lamb kebabs for the first time. Mix lamb mince, very finely diced onion, mixed spice and pepper, form into sausage shapes and grill. They were lovely and gobbled up by both kids (easy to please) AND fussy DH.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now