If you could ask Mary Berry one baking related question, what would it be?

(63 Posts)
RebeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 21-Feb-14 15:32:46

Hi all,

The one and only Mary Berry is launching an app called Mary Berry Bakes in a few short weeks.

The app will have 70 recipes, from quick traybakes and biscuits to savoury nibbles and sponge cake.

To celebrate, Mary has asked us for some baking questions, which she'll answer in a short video. Since we know how much you love her - as this webchat with her made clear grin, we thought we'd hand over the question-asking to you.

Have you had any baking disasters that Mary could help you with? Do you want to know how to make the perfect sponge?

Post your questions below and we will select a few to be put to Mary and we will share the video with you when it's been made.

98percentchocolate Sun 23-Feb-14 13:43:14

Why is it that no matter how careful I am about putting my cakes into the pan perfectly level, they still come out uneven? I've tried using different pans, turning them midway through to ensure an even bake, and blush I've even measured the height of the mixture around the pan before putting it in the oven.
I'm using a fan oven if that makes any difference.

Thanks Mary!

invicta Sun 23-Feb-14 15:59:52

I second Snoggle - how to make Victoria sponges and fairy cakes rise?

thisonehasalittlecar Sun 23-Feb-14 20:18:32

Do you have any tips for scaling baking recipes up to feed a crowd? Whenever I try to make an extra-large sheet cake (for a big birthday or celebration) or tart I have a really hard time getting it to cook evenly all the way through.

trufflehunterthebadger Sun 23-Feb-14 21:04:13

Mary, this is not a question so much as a request. Please could you bring out new edition of the Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook that you did in the 1970s. It is the basis of most of my Mums and therefore my home cooking repertoire. NB - not new recipes, they are seminal, just a bit of modernised editions. But still with the tips ! And that simnel cake with the coloured eggs that I endlessly nagged my Mum to make

I feel that more people need to know the glory of your Oriental Honeyed Pork. I can only spread the word so far smile

aristocat Mon 24-Feb-14 08:57:25

Please Mary, my scones are always too dense. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you smile

steppemum Mon 24-Feb-14 14:09:51

I second the question about flour.
What is the difference between Asda special value flour and the deluxe flour, when both state they are plain flour?

Ninny170 Fri 07-Mar-14 21:32:42

I want to make a great but easy chocolate cake so trying the 'mbez' all in one. Every recipe online is different!!!! How much milk? 2 tablespoons - 50 ml - 125 ml - aaaaagh!!! So confusing - please Mary, tell me which is correct ???

Ninny170 Fri 07-Mar-14 21:36:39

I have bee using Aldi flour - 45p a bag, it is absolutely fine x

fuzzle Sat 08-Mar-14 23:49:54
KatnipEvergreen Thu 20-Mar-14 18:51:35

Vesta: a sausage roll? smile smile

KatnipEvergreen Thu 20-Mar-14 18:53:47

Aristocat - I would say you are overworking the mixture, but then I'm not MB of course.

RebeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 04-Apr-14 16:57:38

<Drum roll>

Here is the finished video:

You can download the app here

Happy baking all and many thanks to Mary Berry.

SixImpossible Sun 06-Jul-14 08:33:27

How utterly disappointing.

So many interesting and useful questions submitted, none of which were asked, ending up in 1.5 minutes of anodyne nothingness.

At least she supports the simple sponge cake as worth making.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now