Recipes for proper meals a 5 yr old can cook entirely on their own?

(15 Posts)
southwarkresident Thu 13-Feb-14 21:25:28

We have done this roast chicken and this baked salmon. Only help needed is taking out of the oven. Any other ideas? No hobs or hot water. Haven't yet used the microwave but maybe that would be OK? I supervise, obviously, but he is so proud to do it all by himself!

SkiSchoolRun Thu 13-Feb-14 21:26:59

Lots of good ones in the cBeebies I can cook book. We like the lasagne, the risotto & the fish pie best.

frugalfuzzpig Thu 13-Feb-14 21:31:22

Wow I'm impressed! I have only just started cooking properly with my 6yo! We've done pesto, cauliflower cheese and other basics like that.

What about something involving a batter type mix, like veggie fritters? Or would that not count as you'd have to do the frying?

I guess a lot of one pot meals like that salmon one (which looks amazing BTW) would be good.

Does he like soup? Leek and potato is good, and I do a lovely one where you just roast red pepper, red onion and sweet potato on a tray and then blitz it.

Ooh and oeufs en cocotte - the variation I do is lining the muffin tray dips with ham, put chopped tomatoes and strong cheese in, crack an egg into each one and bake.

Facebaffle Thu 13-Feb-14 21:45:56

What about pizzas with homemade bread base?

frugalfuzzpig Thu 13-Feb-14 21:52:19

I did stuffed crust pizza with DSD once - made the dough and then folded the edges over sliced mozzarella smile

GraceK Thu 13-Feb-14 23:11:52

I know you said no hobs but if he's on a good (modern) sturdy step stool - handy for reaching work surfaces too. Mine (3 & 7) adore making risotto. I have to slice the onions as even 7 year old's head is too close to the onion fumes & I make up the stock. They slice the cooked chicken & grate the parmesan. Then standing on their trusty step stool & armed with a ladle & tasting fork, off they go. I hate all the standing about & fiddly stirring. They love it. As long as they keep stirring very little can go wrong. Scrambled eggs good for similar fiddly reasons.

They also measure out & microwave jelly. Short crust pastry & scones are good, esp Delia's cheese ones.

Agree I Can Cook book is good. We also have junior Silver Spoon & a few vintage ones I used as a kid.

frugalfuzzpig Thu 13-Feb-14 23:24:00

Fish cakes - mashing potato (or scooping out baked spuds) mixing with tuna etc, shape into patties. They can be oven cooked.

southwarkresident Fri 14-Feb-14 14:47:58

Excellent suggestions! I think fishcakes will be the next one. Will look out for I Can Cook. Then risotto if I am brave enough!

My dd is five and loves making burgers, I put out a few things she can put in, onions, peppers, paprika, thyme, garlic, pepper, or a lump of cheese for the middle- she then butters the buns and tears salad while I put them under the grill (or I let her put them in the George Forman- no turning and a bit safer)

Celeriacacaca Fri 14-Feb-14 17:22:43

Seafood pasta with supervision. Bag of frozen mixed seafood (defrosted, of course), butter, garlic and parsley plus spaghetti. Melt butter in pan, add crushed garlic. Add seafood and stir til warmed through, if using precooked seafood, or until seafood is cooked through. Don't cook for too long as it will get rubbery. Meanwhile, cook pasta. When pasta ready, drain and add seafood mixture to it, mix and sprinkle with parsley. Very easy and tasty. Can serve with homemade garlic bread.

Frontdoorstep Fri 14-Feb-14 18:54:49

What about baking potatoes in the microwave. Ds could then scoop out the potato when they have cooled a bit. Put the scooped out potato in a bowl, mash, add things like ham, sweetcorn, cheese, sping onion, anything you fancy really. Mix it together, scoop it back into the potato skins, grate some cheese over the top, put back in oven till they are hot.

vestandknickers Fri 14-Feb-14 18:57:54

Toad in the hole is a good one. They can make the batter themselves and then it just needs to be put in the oven for them. My children actually prefer it with lardons instead of sausages and we have it with salad.

HobbitWorrier Sat 15-Feb-14 21:30:18

Definately Risotto, i give her the choice of ingredients and she chooses whats going in it! I hate all that damn stirring, she loves it! Also meatballs, Chicken and Leek pasties and soups.

trinity0097 Sun 16-Feb-14 17:37:43

Stew?

sashh Mon 17-Feb-14 08:13:39

I was going to suggest beans on toast (beans in the microwave) or shortbread, but you mean propper cooking.

Put sweet potatoes in the microwave for 4 mins, turn and cook for another 4 mins.

Cool a bit and the sp can be squeezed out and it looks like mashed with no peeling. Not a meal on its own but easy accompaniment.

Pancakes - if you use two pans, cook the pancake in a small pan and then turn it over on to a big pan to cook the other side maybe he could do them.

If not you can make a batch and then let him fill them with cheese / onions / cooked bacon then warm in the oven.

Pizza

Slow cooker stuff, sausage caserole / stew / roast.

And can I borrow him when he is 8 and got his first michelin star?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now