NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Insire me please - gammon steak,

(14 Posts)
AdiposeLoveMe Mon 10-Feb-14 16:35:59

So today, I popped some gammon steaks in my shopping trolley.
Why? I have never cooked these before and I don't know what you are supposed to have "with" them.
I think I know how I'm cooking them but what shall I serve them with?
I'm "healthy eating" at the moment so could do without something really fatty (as lovely as egg and chips would be).
Please can someone help me?

pineapple rings for on top, baked potato or sweet potato, sweetcorn or corn on the cob, coleslaw. Thats what we normally have with ours

p.s. we grill ours and cook the pineapple rings for a few minutes along with the gammon steak

Nittyb Mon 10-Feb-14 16:39:41

Caulifllower cheese, carrots, peas and yummy mash, one of my favourite meals :-)

AdiposeLoveMe Mon 10-Feb-14 16:51:20

I was thinking baked potatoes.
Unfortunately I don't like pineapple. I wish I did as loads of the recipes I've looked at have them in.
Would it be ok to do onions and mushrooms with them?

LucyLasticBand Mon 10-Feb-14 16:53:16

i make them with ratatouille
new potatoes.
salad,

MrsPresley Mon 10-Feb-14 16:53:58

Onions and mushrooms would be ok.

We like pineapple, baked tattie, peaches, cauliflower\broccoli cheese, chips

Not all at once obviously grin

LucyLasticBand Mon 10-Feb-14 16:59:19

i used to oven cook them, to save me watching them under the grill, but they turn into leather.
i have tried grilling them, with more success.

MrTALL Mon 10-Feb-14 17:03:47

i do- choped onion, sliced potato and chop the steaks up , layers of each in an oven dish and fill up with a good stock , bake in oven til golden amd melty !

mT

PsychoCynic Mon 10-Feb-14 17:12:07

With tagliatelle in a homemade cheese sauce, I usually add broccoli and sweetcorn.

LittleBabyPigsus Mon 10-Feb-14 20:15:04

Spread a little apple sauce on them before topping with grated cheese and grilling or oven-baking. Lovely!

TyneTeas Mon 10-Feb-14 23:09:04

You might want to use less cheese, but this is one of my favourites, bacon or gammon in a tomato garlic sauce topped with potato wedges and mozzarella

tyne-teas.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/loaded-skins.html

mrspremise Wed 12-Feb-14 17:54:02

I like to grill them (make sure you snip the edges so they don't curl up) then, after turning, spread them with a Welsh rabbit mixture. (Beat an egg with salt and pepper, a blob of mustard, a little melted butter and a handful of grated cheese until thick and spreadable). Serve with salad or veg.smile

DomesticSlobbess Wed 12-Feb-14 18:05:36

I like to grill them, then serve with a fried egg on top, chips and peas. Simple but really yummy and a naice version of ham, egg and chips.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now