I have just discovered Quinoa

(31 Posts)

Does anyone do anything amazingly exciting with it? I'm shooting in the dark at the moment smile

CuriosityCola Tue 11-Feb-14 16:07:31

Didn't realise about how unethical it was. Will need to visit Waitrose.

CuriosityCola Tue 11-Feb-14 16:02:43

I use it as an accompaniment to the blw Moroccan chicken recipe. Delicious and supremely good for you. My iron levels were really high in an antenatal blood test because of it.

EddieReadersglasses Tue 11-Feb-14 15:58:21

Directed here from another thread! Lots of good recipes but I'll make sure I get the fair-trade stuff

JamNan Mon 10-Feb-14 12:49:08

I made a salad that goes nicely with cold chicken or salmon.
Boil the quinoa in chicken (or veg) stock. Allow to get cold and add chopped walnuts, fresh pomegranate seeds and olive oil dressing. Add a bit of smashed garlic and parsley or mint too.

trainersandaches Mon 10-Feb-14 12:34:25

Oh FFS I've the job?! Over the top!

trainersandaches Mon 10-Feb-14 12:33:30

You can get ethical Fairtrade quinoa from Infinity Foods and Waitrose also sell it - it's not hard to find.

I eat quinoa most weeks- my favourite is roast tomato, avocado and quinoa salad:

Roast cherry tomatoes and garlic cloves in balsamic vinegar in a little foil parcel. Meanwhile, make up the quinoa with some stock, lemon juice and pepper.

Arrange sliced avocado around the plate, stir feta into the quinoa if you fancy it, then ladle it into the centre of a plate. Put the roasted tomatoes and sauce I've the job, et voila!

Panzee Mon 10-Feb-14 12:25:25

It looks like eyes.

I don't eat it because it gives me violent stomach cramps. Had no idea about the ethical issues!

JamNan Mon 10-Feb-14 12:18:54

Organic Fairtrade quinoa is available from Infinity Foods so you don't have to give up eating it. In fact growing it in Ecuador has positively helped a small scale co-operative including many women. link to Infinity Foods here

Sparkeleigh Sun 09-Feb-14 18:41:31

You can get fair trade quinoa, but ethical considerations aside, the sesame cashew quinoa on this page is delicious hot or cold - https://www.patrickholford.com/advice/eight-key-diabetes-food-and-low-glycemic-load-recipes

EBearhug Sat 08-Feb-14 10:43:58

< looks out at the rain >

We can probably start growing our own rice soon.

NumptyNameChange Sat 08-Feb-14 09:56:46

littlebaby - same is true of all imported foods really - such as rice - floods combined with so much being exported has left people starving before.

quorn is something to do with the levels of energy used in its production and there have also been issues with it's safety as it's an allergen and concerns regarding knowing really what the long term or wider issues are of eating foods produced from that level of fermentation and bacteria (i'm sorry i'm no scientist and i'm trying to recall from conversations with people much better versed in this stuff than me). i may be talking shite as i'm going on what i've heard rather than hard fact and a quick google didn't show much - i also have gut concerns about it being a patented food owned under a copywrite - somehow don't like the idea of 'food' being owned and controlled hence feeling uncomfortable with giants owning seeds or crops - i can see very scary potential futures down that path. however this is all my opinion btw.

Onykahonie Sat 08-Feb-14 09:53:19

I've only recently discovered quinoa too...had no idea about the ethical considerations though. Looks like I won't be buying again!

Is it delicious, or is it just something people eat because it is supposed to be healtyh?

SomewhatSilly Sat 08-Feb-14 07:42:25

Came on to talk about the ethical considerations too sad

Cantdothisagain Sat 08-Feb-14 07:35:53

I really had no idea about this. I love quinoa. I'm shocked and will stop buying it now. What alternatives would be ethical? Bulgur wheat?

EBearhug Sat 08-Feb-14 03:26:11

I use quinoa in place of rice quite a bit, so as a base for chilli or curry, or in risotto-like dishes, or in salads.

ItStillLooksLikeRainDear Fri 07-Feb-14 23:26:51

Visited Peru & ate it there but I won't buy it here for above mentioned reasons.

LittleBabyPigsus Fri 07-Feb-14 23:20:14

What's the issue about Quorn? Tbh I think the issues around quinoa are worse, you are literally stealing food from people.

NumptyNameChange Fri 07-Feb-14 20:09:31

soya and quorn have massively dubious ethical considerations too.

Sparkles23 Fri 07-Feb-14 18:43:58

Google Jamie Oliver's blackened chicken San Francisco quinoa salad-it is amazing! I am vegetarian so just leave out the chicken and it's so delicious, I tend to make it and keep in fridge and take it to work for lunch over a few days, yummiest thing ever!

I usually buy Waitrose ready made sachets, quinoa/lentil combo, serve it with baked fish/gratin or lamb. I had a great salad from a deli with sweet potato, almonds, coriander, raisins, lime and olive oil dressing.

kaizen Fri 07-Feb-14 18:40:00

I use it for salads with some soy sauce in it. I once made porridge with it as recommended by Scott Jurek, Ultrarunner extraordinaire. Clearly I would then be able to run for 100 miles, except I gagged on it as it was bloody awful and I threw it all away.

HighVoltage Fri 07-Feb-14 18:33:58

I have a Peruvian friend who makes a sort of cheesy potato bake with it.

This recipe is similar and I've followed it roughly and had some success.

www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/baked-quinoa-casserole-with-peruvian-potatoes-and-cheese-recipe.html#

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now