Roast Chicken - string on or string off??

(21 Posts)
bolshieoldcow Fri 31-Jan-14 17:51:04

That's it, really. I don't know what I'm supposed to do. I've done it both ways and it's been perfectly fine. So, great Mumsnet cooks - string on? Or string off? Bonus wine if you can tell me why!

Seeline Fri 31-Jan-14 17:51:57

String on - keeps everything under control when cooking grin

Aliama Fri 31-Jan-14 17:57:02

String off here, although I'm not sure why. I have a hazy idea that it makes the breastmeat dry. No bonus points for me. sad

Although removing the string does make it easier to stick a lemon up its arse.

DickWithAGlove Fri 31-Jan-14 17:57:43

It's trussed for cooking so leave it on

tb Fri 31-Jan-14 18:05:59

I think I'd be more inclined to keep the string on if the chicken was stuffed. If there's not any stuffing, I can't see that it makes any difference.

Hassled Fri 31-Jan-14 18:07:21

Off. Lets the hot air etc get to the innards. Plus with string off you can stick a lemon/garlic/some herbs up the chicken's butt (unless it's the head - I'm never sure blush).

Hobnobissupersweet Fri 31-Jan-14 18:10:37

Off, hot air up the bum!

TweetPetite Fri 31-Jan-14 18:12:32

String off! Hot air up the bum cooks quicker. I think breast is less likely to be dry too as it cooks for less time.

Bunbaker Fri 31-Jan-14 18:14:23

Off

Back2Basics Fri 31-Jan-14 18:20:24

On, your supposed to keep it on.

You snip it off once you've cooked it.

The other bits of meat you get turkey for example can come wrapped up in a string mesh, your supposed to keep that on to grin

bolshieoldcow Fri 31-Jan-14 18:24:25

Yikes! No consensus yet? Still, have wine for all, plus a top-up for making me snigger at hot air up the bum (must be Friday)

I kept the (elastic) string on this evening but still managed to stuff half a lemon up its rear/neck (hassled I'm never sure either!)

snoggle Fri 31-Jan-14 18:36:04

But if it's elastic not string, is there not a danger of melting?
And on the polythene it says remove all packaging- does that not mean the string too?

I say string off. Chicken can then spread its legs and get crispier skin

Snowdown Fri 31-Jan-14 18:48:54

String off - let the air circulate and cook the chicken quicker.

I take it off and flex the legs out a bit to let the hot air get round the thighs. God that sounds rude! But like others I think that means the legs & breast cook at a more similar rate and hence less dry boobage.

Catsmamma Fri 31-Jan-14 19:15:41

string off and let it air out in the oven

OR get yourself some poultry shears and spatchcock it...this is my latest fad and it really is a great thing to do....even enormous chickens cook in little more than an hour .....so moist and tasty :D

HighVoltage Fri 31-Jan-14 19:59:00

I used to keep on until I saw Heston (squeal) on telly saying take off to make it cook quicker and more evenly. I haven't noticed much difference.

What I really want to know is WWD*D?

*Delia

bolshieoldcow Fri 31-Jan-14 22:14:13

Okay, string off, legs akimbo seems to be the way to go. Now I know!

Thanks for the advice and the excellent understated entendre that's pervading this thread.

OwlCapone Sat 01-Feb-14 08:13:43

Off. And stuff it down the neck, not up its arse.

Snowdown Sat 01-Feb-14 08:44:08

Spatchcocking is the business. Chicken cooked in no time...especially if you have a good thermometer and only cook the chicken as long as it needs to be at a safe temp rather than following standard timing.

AthelstaneTheUnready Sat 01-Feb-14 08:48:32

Off. Otherwise it takes much longer for the thighs, where they join the body (hips? chicken hips?), to cook than the breast, which is why people say the breast often ends up too dry.

AthelstaneTheUnready Sat 01-Feb-14 08:49:01

Chicken hips. That can't be right. confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now