Please recommend a easy, cheap health snack, that I can buy all ready in a shop.

(28 Posts)
Kendodd Thu 30-Jan-14 15:55:13

Not fruit.

Nothing against fruit but want something else. It's for tuck at primary school (which imo is nonsense anyway, they don't need it, they are not going to starve to death between breakfast and lunch, but they all take it).

I don't really want to give them cereal bars because I think most of them are crap and I might as well give them a Twix.

Thanks in advance.

AllMimsyWereTheBorogroves Fri 31-Jan-14 10:26:23

What's wrong with bread and butter or a Marmite sandwich?

McFox Fri 31-Jan-14 10:19:21

Well said LittleBaby.

TheAwfulDaughter these bars contain sugar from fructose, which gives a sustained release of energy in comparison to chocolate etc. The nut content is also really high, so they are a good source of protein, some of them are high in iron and the fats are monounsaturated fats. I'd much rather eat something like this that is essentially dried fruit and nuts smashed together, than recommend a highly manufactured snack product that may be full of crap.

TheAwfulDaughter Fri 31-Jan-14 10:15:28

No it can't. If you need to eat less of something, then it isn't healthy.

I think you obviously can include sugar as part of a balanced diet. I eat plenty of it myself. However, the OP asked for 'healthy snacks', Naked bars are not a healthy snack as it is chock full of sugar.

LittleBabyPigsus Fri 31-Jan-14 06:14:50

TheAwfulDaughter something can be high in sugar AND healthy, the two are not mutually exclusive. Many foods are nutritious but high in sugar, you just need to eat less of them.

WallyBantersJunkBox Thu 30-Jan-14 23:52:28

Munch munch?

lessemin Thu 30-Jan-14 23:47:10

'ave a banana.

TheAwfulDaughter Thu 30-Jan-14 23:38:24

Dairylea triangles- yesss!

TheAwfulDaughter Thu 30-Jan-14 23:37:46

Naked bars are NOT healthy.
They are still pure sugar. Don't be deceived by the 'no added sugar' part. It's the same health con as nutritious innocent smoothies hmm

Oatcakes or rice cakes with hummus or cream cheese
Ham? Cheese sticks?
Nuts if they eat them/they're allowed?

Naked bars were in the penny sale at Holland and Barrett on Saturday.

2 Banana crunch bars for a pound... <Happy sigh>

Mrswellyboot Thu 30-Jan-14 23:14:46

Our staff room is full of rice cakes and green tea grin

What about a little pot of berries or grapes or box of raisins

WallyBantersJunkBox Thu 30-Jan-14 23:05:35

If you want to be super convenient those cream cheese portions with breadsticks to dip in?

Cherry tomatoes and Dairylea triangles or Cheddar is an easy one?

NaturalBaby Thu 30-Jan-14 23:04:45

Mine get a scotch pancake, malt loaf slices or pot of dry cereal.
Must look up/buy Nakd bars.

McFox Thu 30-Jan-14 23:01:13

You can buy big packs of the Nakd bars from their website which keeps the costs down. I eat one every day and so does my workmate, so we split a box every month smile

Kendodd Thu 30-Jan-14 20:05:17

You know I don't mind KitKats they would never get past the school healthy eating policy though, even though cereal bars would!

I should just start a campaign to ban tuck instead, completely unnecessary imo. They already have milk and fruit at school but it seems children can't go more than an hour without eating these days.

Kendodd Thu 30-Jan-14 20:00:36

Nakd bars do look lovely (if a little expensive).

I might try those snack cheeses, I'd never thought of them. Popcorn is a good idea too, I could make a big batch and put it in bags for them. Would popcorn still be good the next day though? Or day 3 or even 4?

panedd Thu 30-Jan-14 19:56:30

I will fight tooth and nail to keep the kit kats Bertie grin

Half of these snacks are what you eat when you're bloody starving on weight watchers. I bet the staff room isn't full of rice cakes and carrot sticks.

McFox Thu 30-Jan-14 19:16:29

I second the Nakd bars, especially the choc orange one, it's tastes like a healthy Terry's chocolate orange smile

BigW Thu 30-Jan-14 19:14:00

Popcorn!

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 30-Jan-14 19:12:43

Nakd bars are good if you dont object to dried fruit as are Nakd raisins

I don't think most schools allow kit kats any more panedd!

Crackers with interesting flavours like cheese and chive or the tesco sesame and poppy seed ones are lovely.

mrspremise Thu 30-Jan-14 19:09:26

grin at wasabi peas. What about pretzels? 'Breakfast' biscuits?

ecuse Thu 30-Jan-14 17:11:20

Those packs of snacky cheese (baby bel, cheese strings, mini portions of cheddar etc)

HomeIsWhereTheGinIs Thu 30-Jan-14 16:55:21

Carrot batons, prawns and hummus, mini sweet corn, mange tout...?

ouryve Thu 30-Jan-14 16:46:29

Fruitus and 9bars are a lot more nutritious than your average cereal bar.

Popcorn? Oatcakes?

Wasabi peas? wink

drspouse Thu 30-Jan-14 16:09:58

Dried fruit or fruit and nuts, Japanese rice crackers, flavoured popcorn?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now