ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Cookery Book Club February - Claudia Roden and Rachel Allen

(60 Posts)
Pantah630 Wed 29-Jan-14 10:54:57

Welcome to February, Spring is on it's way but it's still cold or wet enough for hearty stews and one pots. This month is a no Cookbook buying month for me anyway so we have any Claudia Roden and Rachel Allen books you can lay your hands on. CR should be readily available in libraries and I found some of her recipes with a quick google search. Likewise Rachel Allen, she is a regular in the Good Food channel so they have lots of her recipes on their website. I'll put some links up in a bit. Happy cooking folks.

HuevosRancheros Wed 19-Feb-14 20:54:05

Yes, I've done the salad before, after everyone on here raved about it, and loved it, though a tad too sweet for me, for a salad smile

But not made those biscuits yet, and they keep staring at me on Pinterest, so they may be tomorrow's project with the kids grin

glorious Thu 20-Feb-14 20:42:08

Had the RA sausage and bean bake today, which was lovely in a simple way. Avoided any risk of over-cheesing by not weighing it out grin

I love that over cheese is catching on.grin
I did the spring rolls- as ever unauthentic, simple and tasty. I added a chilli, as DC were not eating them, and IMO they were better for it. She really doesn't like heat does she? I've added a bit of chilli to a few things of hers I've made and it usually improves it. It's in the interest of family and DC I suppose.

madamecake Mon 24-Feb-14 15:25:48

Made the quick chicken casserole at the weekend with leftover roast chicken. Nice, easy dinner, and I'll eat almost anything if it's got tarragon in it so I loved it.

I also made the double chocolaye cookies and the banana blondies again. These have both become favourites in our house, even dh who doesn't have a sweet tooth asked if I would make the blondies again.

Don't think I'll be cooking much else this month, I'm using up all the batch cooked food in the freezer before we move out for a month and the builders move in!

ELR Tue 25-Feb-14 13:28:30

Hi all, just caught up and pleased I don't need to feel too bad about not cooking much this month as the thread hasn't moved on too much.
Use hazelnuts: make a chocolate cake add chopped pears and crushed hazelnuts in, or sprinkle on top of a chocolate and banana cake or just eat them!!
Did the chorizo ball things in half term and they were nice.
The blondies sound good which book are they in?

glorious Tue 25-Feb-14 17:34:11

So what are we doing for March? Don't think we decided but may have forgotten.

That Food Programme episode is really interesting, CR is quite a woman. I need to actually cook something from her...

I believe hairy dieters and Paul Hollywood were in for March, with any Leon book and the jewelled kitchen for April. But if I am wrong feel free to correct me.

Pantah630 Wed 26-Feb-14 22:19:50

I've been useless this month, just the one CR recipe for me. Thankfully DS2 back S&S desperate for decent food, the only thing he didn't like on the ski trip smile

Yes, Hairy Dieters and Paul Hollywood for March, will sort new thread ASAP.

I haven't cooked one thing from the 3/4 RA books I've got, they're not the same as you all had and nothing jumped out when I scanned at the beginning of the month. When things calm down here I'll have another look.

glorious Thu 27-Feb-14 07:16:43

oops, so we did! smile

Pantah630 Thu 27-Feb-14 07:49:57

new thread here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now