Does natural yogurt in curry make it taste bitter? Worth the calorie save or just use cream?

(14 Posts)
mameulah Wed 29-Jan-14 07:53:48

That is all, tia!

magimedi Wed 29-Jan-14 08:38:46

I always use yogurt in curries - never cream. Not bitte at all.

mameulah Wed 29-Jan-14 08:52:39

Thanks

callamia Wed 29-Jan-14 08:56:08

Yep, agreed. I always use yoghurt too.
I'd only pop some cream in if there was some open and needed using up. Those ones seem very rich.

UriGeller Wed 29-Jan-14 09:05:32

Ooh, yoghurt in curries is brilliant! Not bitter at all, really tempers the fierceness of a strong one.
Never tried cream but I often make a curry with coconut cream.

mrspremise Wed 29-Jan-14 09:08:48

If I use low-fat yoghurt, I always beat s spoonful of cornflour into it before adding, helps avoid any splitting disasters...

magimedi Wed 29-Jan-14 09:30:24

And yes to the cornflour - really makes a difference.

mameulah Wed 29-Jan-14 19:08:38

Love the cornflour tip, thanks. About how much yogurt do you use when cooking a curry with four chicken breasts?

Thanks everyone!

ErrolTheDragon Wed 29-Jan-14 19:13:05

Yoghurt isn't bitter. Some can be a bit sour, but that can work well in some curries. If you want to avoid that, go for greek-style or on of the mild bio yogurts.

AmberSpyglass Wed 29-Jan-14 19:15:22

Natural yoghurt isnt bitter on its own. It's great in curries. I tend to just tip some in until it looks/tastes right, so no help on quantities, sorry

TyneTeas Wed 29-Jan-14 22:02:35

I usually use yoghurt instead of cream for curries, but instead of mixing it in to the sauce and cooking it, I usually make the sauce a little thicker and just put yoghurt out on the table for people to mix in as they want

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 30-Jan-14 07:19:27

Yoghurt is acidic, not bitter. Don't cook with it, however, just stir in a few spoonsful right at the end after the dish has finished cooking and you've switched off the heat. If you avoid the wimpy fat-free type yoghurt it'll add creaminess and won't go thin.

ginslinger Thu 30-Jan-14 07:25:21

Madhur Jaffrey has a lot of recipes where the sauce is made with yoghurt -

tb Fri 31-Jan-14 18:05:02

I use it to marinate the meat in for an hour before cooking with a teaspoon of cumin seeds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now