How do you make your own veggie nuggets?

(9 Posts)
sicily1921 Tue 21-Jan-14 19:32:38

What do you use for veg and do you recommend ready made breadcrumbs? How long do you cook, oven or grill etc - tell me all, DD is now veggie and I need help please! Thanks

nicename Tue 21-Jan-14 19:35:40

I'm not really sure what a veggie nugget is... I sometimes make mashed potatoes and mix with grated carrot and courgettes, onion, leek and herbs and fry them in patties. No breadcrumbs needed. If I do use breadcrumbs (if I mace macaroni cheese of vegetable gratin I mix grated cheese with them and sprinkle over the top for a crunchy top) I make them by grating staleish bread.

nicename Tue 21-Jan-14 19:37:03

oh dear 'if I make macaroni cheese or vegetable gratin...'

sicily1921 Tue 21-Jan-14 19:47:36

And how long would you cook for? Thanks Nicename.

nicename Tue 21-Jan-14 19:50:28

If you fry them, they only take a couple of minutes each side. Sometimes I bake them and they take about 20mins at 160

sicily1921 Tue 21-Jan-14 19:51:45

Sounds good will give it a go. smile

nicename Tue 21-Jan-14 20:05:08

I'm assuming this is a new thing? Whatever she lkes can be veggified - pasta, curry, stir fry, pizza, lasagne... Jacket potatoes are a good standby and some quorn things are nice.

Its not all lentils and chickpeas!

MarysDressSways Tue 21-Jan-14 20:14:33

Quorn nuggets are nice smile

I make falafels which are a bit nugget like I guess!

Jamie Oliver recipe

CrockedPot Tue 21-Jan-14 20:18:13

Leftover mash, Any veg but sweet corn, peas, chopped cooked carrot particularly good, Philadelphia to bind it, roll in polenta and fry for a few minutes each side.
Waves to nicename (have name changed from harrietlichman!) grin Haven't seen you for ages!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now