Breakfast ideas for stroppy DD...

(28 Posts)
SilverLining Tue 21-Jan-14 08:29:01

Please help me coming across as the wicked witch of the west - DD (nearly 12) refuses to eat breakfast unless its sugary, fatty and generally v bad for her! AND then moans she is hungry at school!

We've talked about balanced diets etc and she is smart enough to know what she should be eating but won't! Doesn't like any porridge/Weetabix type cereals - thinks coco pops is a valid choice (!), won't eat toast/granary/brown bread in any form - at a push will have a bagel but its v begrudgenly...

Running out of ideas - is a smoothie type thing a valid option to offer her?? This morning after much huffing and puffing she had a banana and a yoghurt tube - but it was a real battle!

I'm really struggling and trying to teach her about making the right choices but right now am failing...

Mumsnet please let me have some ideas I can present to her later and make both our mornings a bit smoother...!

HettiePetal Tue 21-Jan-14 09:38:22

If she's eating healthily the rest of the time, a few crappy breakfasts a week isn't too much of a problem, surely?

Does she like cooked breakfasts? Grilled bacon & poached eggs with a slice of white toast is nourishing. Or how about good old fashioned eggs & soldiers?

I make THIS for me quite often. Very nice and satisfies my sweet tooth.

A healthy diet is all about balance, not forbidding any particular food group. In moderation, Coco Pops are fine.

donttellmetokeepcalm Tue 21-Jan-14 09:53:58

i'm eating a bowl of coco pops now!!

MamaPenelope Tue 21-Jan-14 10:22:34

Possibly breakfast muffins, granola as although they are quite sugary they do have nutrients too. Or try one of the sweetened bagels with bacon or something in. I'm already having issues with my 1 year old as far as breakfast is concerned. If she likes bananas why not use that with yoghurt, honey and oats in a smoothie maker? They are nutritious and taste lovely, try and use natural sugars to edge away from the processed maybe?

SilverLining Tue 21-Jan-14 11:07:22

Thanks all - she isn't the greatest healthy eater to be honest and its a battle convincing her that vegetables and fruit are a necessary evil! I am quite relaxed believe it or not but worry that going out of the house with nothing in her but a quick sugar hit is not enough for a 25 minute walk to school and quite a lot of sport before her lunch at 1pm!
Will definitely explore the smoothie option - she loves strawberries so will try that one with the oats too!
Thanks so much!

Can you do a deal so she has a decent breakfast on school days and her choice at weekends?

Yoghurt plus flapjack an alternative to smoothie?
Eggy bread/french toast?

Good old fashioned jam sandwich?

SilverLining Wed 22-Jan-14 15:48:00

Thanks bluechampagne - she loves flapjack so that's a great idea with a yoghurt. Today we had a smoothie and she quite liked it and I did say she could choose what she had at the weekends and I have compromised that if she does healthy all week then I will make both DDs pancakes on a Friday! Fingers Xed it works....!!
(jam sandwich good too but she will only have really nasty white bread! But I could make my own bread which would be better surely??? Will try that tomorrow I think - warm bread first thing hmmmmmm!!!!)

notso Wed 22-Jan-14 15:56:34

I have a similar issue with DD 13 but she won't eat lunch either.
She would eat a sausage roll or a chicken tikka pasty from the corner shop everyday but I won't let her, it's unhealthy and expensive.
She won't eat school dinners as they have to queue for ages and they are vile apparently.
Sandwiches are out because they have to be eaten in the social area and people throw food around in there, they also make fun of you if you have anything healthy, anything with any kind of aroma or anything childish.
She won't come home for lunch.
So she goes without, every day. Comes home starving and wants to fill up on crap.

notso Wed 22-Jan-14 16:02:55

Is a flapjack any better than cocoa pops though, both very high sugar content surely.

Domus Wed 22-Jan-14 16:20:22

My 12 yo DS1 isn't a fussy eater but since I stopped buying boxed cereals these are some of the things he has:

-fish finger sandwich
-porridge sweetened with dried fruit
-cheese omelette (done a very cheaty way on a plate in the microwave)
-left over crumble from Sunday dinner (made with wholemeal flour and porridge oats, lots of apples cooked without extra sugar)
- Sardines on toast

She can have anything she'd have for any other meal really. What are her favourites? Can you cook extra for dinner so there's some for her to warm up for breakfast next day?

EmGee Thu 23-Jan-14 14:20:37

Notso - at least if you make the flapjacks yourself you can limit the sugar that you use as well as using honey/molasses (which I know are sugars but....less processed) and add lots of oats. Has to be more nutritious than cocopops surely?

notso Thu 23-Jan-14 14:29:47

I'm not sure cereals do have a lot of added vitamins and iron as well as the benefits from the milk. I know my DD will only eat the flapjacks I make with a tin of condensed milk, pack of butter and 1/4 of a can of syrup, healthier versions don't meet her standards.
Not meaning to pick on you by the way smile

Artandco Thu 23-Jan-14 14:35:08

Bacon sandwich
Beans or scrambled eggs on toast

If she likes pancakes why don't you make Lots and freeze ( baking paper between each). Then each morning they just need heating in a pan quick.

Artandco Thu 23-Jan-14 14:37:03

Yes flapjacks can be healthier. Ours are butter, wholemeal flour, oats, honey, crushed walnuts, egg and dried fruit. Ok not traditional but taste great

snowmummy Thu 23-Jan-14 14:45:43

Give her a sandwich. I don't know why we get stuck on idea that breakfast equates to cereal or toast.

Domus DS1 loves to have leftover fruit crumble at breakfast. All the standard breakfast ingredients but in a slightly naughty, non-breakfasty combination.

Domus Thu 23-Jan-14 15:52:25

Notso, imo the added vits etc in cereals are a bit of a con - artificial so debatable if they have the same benefits as 'real' vitamins from real food and in any case they gate washed off by the milk so unless you drink every last drop of the milk you're not eating them anyway.

I would far rather ds had flapjack made with condensed milk, butter and oats than cocoa pops

TheAwfulDaughter Thu 23-Jan-14 16:07:54

Flapjacks are just as bad as Coco pops...

Just let her have the Coco pops, she will grow out of it. I used to have 3 caramel Rocky bars and a can of Diet Coke most days in secondary school.

If she's not a healthy eater all round, make a compromise that the shit breakfasts can continue as long as she eats her veg and protein with her evening meal.

Domus Thu 23-Jan-14 16:13:52

This is why the healthy eating campaign drives me mad, most of it is just plain wrong. Homemade flapjack aren't "bad" at all, unless youre having too much sugar overall or need to lose weigt

Dilidali Thu 23-Jan-14 16:30:16

Dutch crisp bakes with cheese?
Crumpet?
Freshly baked bread (from frozen) with salami/cheese/jam?
Danish pastry/croissant occasionally?
Ryvita?
Muffins (with whatever you deem suitable, spinach, cheese etc).

PasswordProtected Thu 23-Jan-14 19:01:53

She is 12, let her get her own breakfast.

mrspremise Thu 23-Jan-14 21:42:38

TBH, if you're trying to convince her that fruit and vegetables are, in your own words, a 'necessary evil', then there's your problem... confused

PoppadomPreach Thu 23-Jan-14 21:53:00

Eggy bread with soy sauce

RoseHoney Fri 24-Jan-14 20:19:29

Some of these suggestions are making me feel nauseous. confused

Do people really eat fish finger sandwiches for breakfast?!

Would she eat brown toast if you compromised on what spread she has? Maybe peanut butter or Nutella, even just a small amount?

Shredded wheat? I love the summer fruits one with warm milk, I have a major sweet tooth and it's my fave breakfast.

Scrambled eggs on toast?
Poached egg and turkey bacon/ham muffins or bagels?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now