Is there a major difference using Value butter for general cooking and baking?

(12 Posts)
Leedsavril Mon 20-Jan-14 09:18:01

I am a Lurpak buyer but I wondered if anyone has found any difference using unsalted value butter for general cooking like frying etc.
It can be half the price and I wondered if there was any reason not to use it?

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 20-Jan-14 12:30:30

Butter is quality graded according to flavour and texture. Cheap butter tends to be more grainy, less creamy and less sweet-tasting (more acidic possibly) than the premium stuff. If it's being eaten straight or relatively large amounts going into a cake where texture and flavour are noticeable you'd go with better quality. If it's a small amount that's going to disappear into a savoury dish I don't think you'd notice the difference in flavour. I'd compare it to EVOO vs a cheaper, blended oil.

BooBudolphMeowson Tue 21-Jan-14 10:57:37

Never noticed the difference myself. Used real butter for years, but.now it is so expensive I tried Stork, really impressed at it in a cake, wouldnt use it for icing or pastry etc though

ProfYaffle Tue 21-Jan-14 10:59:39

I always use value butter, never had any problems, tastes fine to me.

RoganJosh Tue 21-Jan-14 11:00:12

We buy it most of the time and I don't notice any difference on toast and in sandwiches. It's not Lurpack style though, more like Anchor etc.

UriGeller Tue 21-Jan-14 11:00:32

Only ever use butter. Cheapest will do. Its got the fewest ingredients of all spreads so is the least processed. Have you seen the list of chemicals on a pack of margarine?

WilsonFrickett Tue 21-Jan-14 11:52:08

Interesting thought - I was brought up on Stork in cakes etc. I do use lurpak spreadable for toast, etc and buy a cheaper butter for cooking, but all my dairy is organic so it's not that much cheaper.

Snowdown Tue 21-Jan-14 13:48:33

Cheapest unsalted is fine - they tend to add masses of salt to cheap salted butter to preserve it longer and add taste, so you would need to modify your recipes accordingly.

dreamingofsun Tue 21-Jan-14 14:16:48

i only ever use margarine. the kids seem to eat it quick enough. thats for cakes, pastry....well anything really. husband occassionally buys butter as a treat for his toast. i don't think we would notice the difference....at least our cakes seem as good as anyoone else's....especially my son's choc cake.

NigellasDealer Greece Tue 21-Jan-14 14:18:17

LIDL's own brand unsalted butter is just fine OP and about half the price of lurpak

RoganJosh Tue 21-Jan-14 18:20:39

That's not true of tesco value butter, snowdown. It has the same amount of salt as Anchor and slightly less than Country life.

Snowdown Tue 21-Jan-14 18:25:29

That's good rogan it's just something you need to look out for.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now