What's a really easy, least-number-of-ingredients way to make satay chicken? And coronation chicken?

(8 Posts)
frugalfuzzpig Sun 19-Jan-14 15:37:42

Any fool proof ideas please? I've found recipes with long ingredients lists but something simpler/cheaper would be great! thanks

eyebrowsfurrowed Sun 19-Jan-14 15:39:51

peanut butter, soy sauce, lime juice. done!

eggwhitesandsugar Sun 19-Jan-14 15:40:53

My old catering boss used to make coronation chicken: cold chicken, diced; mayonnaise; mild curry powder; chopped apricots; almonds; raisins.

All ingredients to taste in terms of amounts. It was very popular.

CharlieAlphaKiloEcho Sun 19-Jan-14 15:47:47

I use this recipes in the slow cooker for Satay. You try it on the hob too I should think.

1kg chicken breast or thigh fillets
2 cloves garlic crushed
2 heaped tablespoons of peanut butter
5 teaspoons of soy sauce
1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon of tomato ketchup
1 tablespoon of sweet chilli sauce
¾ cup coconut milk
3 tablespoons of cornflour

Method:
-Remove any visible fat from chicken and cut into strips.
-Peel and crush garlic. Place into slow cooker with peanut butter, sauces and coconut milk.
-Stir to combine
-Cover and cook on high for 3hrs
-If necessary, mix cornflour with water and add to dish towards the end of cooking to thicken sauce.

CaterpillarCara Sun 19-Jan-14 21:45:06

peanut butter, soy sauce, lime juice. done!

Agreed - though a bit of brown sugar is nice too if you like your satay a wee bit sweet.

frugalfuzzpig Sun 19-Jan-14 21:53:40

Ah these are great thanks all smile looking forward to trying them. I think DD will look at me like hmm when I say we are mixing peanut butter and chicken grin but hopefully I'll convince her!

frugalfuzzpig Sun 19-Jan-14 21:55:15

Oh and might be a stupid question blush but what else would I use soy sauce in? I've never actually bought it before. I guess you can put some in stir fries but that's the extent of my 'knowledge'...

MrsPnut Sun 19-Jan-14 21:57:46

My daughter (7) has made these satay before! mostly on her own.

Soy is handy for all kids of recipes instead of salt. I put a splash in when stir frying veg and also when making egg fried rice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now