Sweet potatoes

(20 Posts)
sashh Wed 15-Jan-14 17:07:53

I ordered what I thought was 2 sweet potatoes from Tesco. They have delivered 2 bags.

I have in the past done

Baked
wedges
mashed as topping for shepherd's pie

What else can I do?

Preferably something I can also freeze.

I won't be near the computer until the morning so I'm hoping to wake up to some yummy recipes

UnicornsNotRiddenByGrownUps Wed 15-Jan-14 17:29:14

Sweet potato and coconut soup is yum

Felix90 Wed 15-Jan-14 17:31:30

If we have sweet potatoes to use, I'll cut them in to chips and cost lightly with Olive oil and season with smoked paprika and pepper then stick them in the freezer. Then we have frozen chips which can be put straight in the oven from frozen and they cook lovely!

Also I use sweet potato in curries which works well.

RedLentil Wed 15-Jan-14 17:32:29

I made a sweet potato, carrot and red pepper soup today. Best thing I've made in ages.
We make a grown-up version of Annabel Karmel's one-pot chicken and everybody loves it.

Lj8893 Wed 15-Jan-14 17:33:37

Sweet potato in casseroles is nice!!

sharond101 Wed 15-Jan-14 21:55:39

RedLentil how do you do the adult version?

sashh Thu 16-Jan-14 07:57:13

The chips idea is interesting. Do they stick together when you freeze them? How long do you cook them for?

firesidechat Thu 16-Jan-14 11:47:22

I made a sweet potato, chicken and spinach curry this week from The Good Food website and it was very good. I added more curry paste though because it could be a bit bland. Oh and I roasted the potatoes instead of boiling them.

LCross410 Thu 16-Jan-14 11:52:29

Sweet Potato curry is always good, if you look in a Caribbean cook book they frequently use them.

Felix90 Thu 16-Jan-14 11:59:27

Sashh they don't stick together in the freezer. I usually just stick them in a freezer bag in portions then cook at 180 degrees. Not sure how long for, I just cook them until they look done grin

AmyMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 16-Jan-14 12:00:16

Ooh - mash them up and mix with bacon and onions, and use as a filling for a roast pepper - with generous helpings of melted cheese on top. It's delish!

Chopstheduck Thu 16-Jan-14 12:09:22

they are really nice mashed with a bit of soft cheese too!

missmoffatt2705 Fri 17-Jan-14 00:04:29

Sweet potato soup with red chilli and lime.

Sweet potato and celeriac soup.

Curry with SP cubes and brazil nuts (Gok Wan does one with butternut squash)

Roast with other roots like parsnip and carrot. Add in some chopped red onion. Add some chunks of haloumi about 20 mins before end of cooking time.

Oh yes, use them as baked potatoes - great with cheese type fillings.

frugalfuzzpig Sun 19-Jan-14 17:06:04

We do mashed potatoes with half normal half sweet potato. Great on cottage pie etc.

Baked sweet potato is fantastic with cubes of feta and chopped spring onion.

Also made a great soup, just bunged on a roasting tray with red pepper and red onion, then blitzed.

I LOVE the stuffed pepper idea!

Sweet potato pie is delicious - very similar to pumpkin pie.

SolomanDaisy Sun 19-Jan-14 17:15:02

Sweet potato and red lentil chilli. There's a great recipe for sweet potato falafel in the recipes section on here. Sweet potato bean burgers. Sweet potato pancakes. We eat a lot of sweet potatoes!

frugalfuzzpig Sun 19-Jan-14 17:33:46

You could use them in fish cakes. DH found a recipe for salmon and sweet potato cakes although I'm not convinced the two belong together. Will give it a go though!

MoogDroog Sun 19-Jan-14 20:10:09

I've just demolished a sweet potato gratin. sliced thinly with ground peanuts, garlic, chilli, lime juice and cream. It was bloody lovely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now