Empty the freezer challenge... berries

(15 Posts)
CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 13-Jan-14 21:03:45

New kitchen means the freezer contents must go over the next few weeks. For reasons that escape me now I have a bag each of frozen cherries and mixed berries. Not a fan of smoothies and am lactose intolerant which kind of lets out ice-cream so what could I make with them? Big crumble? confused

TheDrugsWorkABitTooWellThanks Mon 13-Jan-14 21:04:35

Crumble. Or jam.

CMOTDibbler Mon 13-Jan-14 21:05:19

Crumble sounds ace. But I'm a sucker for crumble

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 13-Jan-14 21:05:39

Didn't think of jam

Beamur Mon 13-Jan-14 21:06:24

Summer pudding.

If they total 3kg then wine?

WallyBantersJunkBox Mon 13-Jan-14 21:11:09

Frozen berry muffins. They are delicious and make good breakfast muffins or lunch box fillers. You cook the mixture with the berries still frozen, so they are juicy when they come out if the oven.

nailslikeknives Mon 13-Jan-14 21:12:21

Is there any other type of lactose free cream you can have? If so, instant ice cream is only a blender away!

1. Put frozen mixed berries in blender and whizz/pulse until you have frozen fruit crumbs.
2. Add cream substitute and approx 6 tablespoons icing sugar, blend just enough to combine.
3. Serve immediately.

MrsHowardRoark Mon 13-Jan-14 21:16:23

Cook down with some maple syrup to make a lovely topping for pancakes.

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 14-Jan-14 06:56:57

Thanks all

Jaynebxl Tue 14-Jan-14 07:02:47

I always keep them in to make summer pudding. I often have half a loaf of value white sliced bread in the freezer too for that very purpose.

atthestrokeoftwelve Tue 14-Jan-14 07:12:21

I eat a handful of berries every morning on my cereal. Pumps up my nutrition no end. I buy them for this specific purpose, often it's frozen blueberries or mixed summer fruits- atm it's frozen cherries. I buy a box a week, with a bag of walnuts too which I mix through with my value fruit n fibre.

Artandco Tue 14-Jan-14 07:13:55

Add to porridge

I second the porridge option, we have been using 2 massive boxes over the last two weeks, everyone gets a ramekin of fruit with their serving of porridge smile

Gileswithachainsaw Tue 14-Jan-14 08:12:56

Shove in a blender with some plain soya yogurt.

Instant frozen dairy free yogurt. Serve with a drizzle if maple syrup

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now