Chicken left in oven overnight, still ok to eat?

(22 Posts)
MrsJamesMartin Mon 13-Jan-14 12:53:56

Cooked a chicken last night dh turned oven off and left chicken inside so was , inevitably, forgotten!
So, my question is, is it still edible? Saw it in oven around ten this morning and it's now in fridge.

sweetheart Mon 13-Jan-14 12:56:33

Don't think I'd eat it after being left unrefrigerated all night and I'm not usually too fussy about stuff like that. I think the general guideline for unrefrigerated stuff is about 4 hours - I'd push this to 5 or 6 but not all night.

MrsHarryRamsden Mon 13-Jan-14 12:56:43

Yes it would still be edible in my house, but the residual heat of the oven may have carried on cooking it and made it dry

wintersdawn Mon 13-Jan-14 12:56:57

it might be a bit dry if the oven hadn't cooled down before it was left but I'd eat it.

Ragwort Mon 13-Jan-14 13:13:37

Are you really married to James Martin the chef grin.

It wouldn't worry me, but I have a cast iron stomach. I am sure it will be fine. Also left pork out all last night, planning to give it to DH later.

SuckItAndSee Mon 13-Jan-14 13:17:19

I'd eat it
Sniff it first though, eh?

HowYaLikeThemApples Mon 13-Jan-14 13:20:53

Personally, no. But I'm close to being emetophobic and chicken is one of my biggest worries.

MrsJamesMartin Mon 13-Jan-14 13:25:22

I know Ragwort, you'd really expect better of him, being a chef and all!wink will probably eat it then!

peggyundercrackers Mon 13-Jan-14 13:33:41

we would eat it in our house, as someone else said if the oven was left on then it may have dried out - if this was the case i wouldnt eat it.

JamNan Mon 13-Jan-14 13:36:51

I'd eat it. If it's dried out maybe make a soup or curry with it.

I wouldn't eat chicken. It'd go on the bird table. Birds will eat anything except carrots.

Ilovexmastime Mon 13-Jan-14 13:40:29

I'd eat it.

Lickitysplit Mon 13-Jan-14 13:41:20

Personally I would be nervous.

NigellasDealer Mon 13-Jan-14 13:42:09

make soup with it - the prolonged hi temp of the soup making will kill off any potential bacteria

UpQuarkDownQuark Mon 13-Jan-14 13:45:02

I wouldn't even think about not eating it!

Dollydishus Mon 13-Jan-14 13:45:50

Yes I'd eat it. Have quite doesn't left food out overnight to cool. Always been fine.

Dollydishus Mon 13-Jan-14 13:46:33

Sorry that should be ''quite often left food out overnight to cool."

I'm really not fussy about dates on food but no I would not risk it. Meat at room temperature all night, never.

notso Mon 13-Jan-14 13:59:12

I do this all too frequently blush it gets a bit dry but usually I am making curry or something with it so that rehydrated it somewhat.

mrspremise Mon 13-Jan-14 14:45:16

We'd eat it, much safer than putting a still-warm chicken in the fridge with other food and our kitchen is really bastard cold anyway smile

firesidechat Mon 13-Jan-14 22:00:18

I'm quite laid back about eating slightly out of date food etc and I reheat food all the time, but I wouldn't touch the chicken. It would have been in warm conditions for far too long and is probably breeding all sorts of bacteria.

Jaffacakesallround Wed 15-Jan-14 12:57:18

The odds are you'd be okay but I think I'd play safe. You should put a chicken in the fridge after it's cooked as soon as it's cool so leaving it at a warm temp in the oven for a few hours is not good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now