Dairy free

(13 Posts)
Emaclaire Sun 12-Jan-14 13:08:35

Hi all, am new-ish when it comes to mumsnet, this being only my second post.

I am about to embark on a dairy free diet and have had a mental block trying to think of meal ideas?!? Bit daft I know, but didn't realise how much dairy my family ate!

Any ideas would be gratefully received smile

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sun 12-Jan-14 13:14:07

Google vegan recipes/meal plans there are lots out there.

I particularly like Post Punk Kitchen

TheArmadillo Sun 12-Jan-14 13:38:37

Start by making meals that aren't dairy based - stews, casseroles, roast dinners, tomato based sauces and curries, chilli, omelettes with veg (don't need to mix egg with milk), salads, burgers, kebabs (homemade not the takeaway ones).

For marinating e.g. chicken i mix tandoori spices with lemon juice rather than yoghurt. You can also get 'plain' soya yoghurt (though it is sweetened a bit), soya cream is getting harder to find but still available. You can also get dairy free ice cream (swedish glace is the brand).

I use dairy free spread and almond milk. I have never found a dairy free cheese that is edible. I make my own garlic butter/ garlic bread type stuff.

Dairy free substitutes tend to be much higher in carbs and have very low protein compared to the dairy foods they are replacing. They also often contain quite a bit of sugar. It is not usually healthier than eating dairy - there is a lot of dairy products that are great for you and the dairy free versions don't really measure up nutritionally.

Check food labels, lots of unexpected stuff has dairy in (tescos own brand pickled onions do).

Certain brands of dark chocolate don't contain dairy, neither does cocoa powder.

It can be a pain eating out though. Lots of butter used in restaurant cooking.

Me and dh cook pretty much everything ourselves which makes it easier to keep track of. I have a (non life threatening) dairy allergy. Recipes can be adapted though I avoid cream based sauce dishes (dh &ds don't like them anyway).

Emaclaire Sun 12-Jan-14 14:39:25

Thanks TheArmadillo great advice. My six week old is suffering at the mo with colic/reflux/who bloody knows what type symptoms and have read a lot about how a large percentage of babies with these symptoms actually are lactose intolerant and/or have a dairy allergy hence the change in diet for me(and family...not cooking twice each eve!)

I'm used to cooking fresh each night so not a big change there for me. Really hope it makes a difference for her!

weirdthing Sun 12-Jan-14 19:44:26

Vegusto is the only nice dairy-free cheese.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 12-Jan-14 20:24:26

I suspected the dairy with my DS when he was a baby, particularly as I'm CMPI however with him, it turned out to be upper lip tie and tongue tie.

It might be worth going to your local bfing support group and talking this through smile

applejelly Sun 12-Jan-14 20:58:54

My youngest is 11 months and cow's milk protein allergic. I have been struggling to replace dairy in family cooking but after experimenting I have narrowed all the options down to what I think are the best replacements;

butter - vitalite
milk - alpro simply mild
yoghurt - alpro plain
cheese - nothing yet, all substitutes I've tried are disgusting (although going to look for vegusto now, thanks weirdthing)

My main concern, although this won't be an issue for you op for a few months, is the amount of sugar in infant soy milk (alpro soya +1). This is a "soya alternative to milk developed especially for little ones" so it has added calcium (as does the normal one), iron & various vitamins. It also has twice as much sugar (2.9g per 100ml) as the alpro simply mild version, and tastes to me very sweet, like melted ice cream (or as DH said, watery custard!). Even worse, the infant one has maltodextrin and fructose-glucuse syrup, whereas at least the other has plain old sugar!

I feel very uncomfortable giving this to my daughter, even though the consultant & dietician at our paeds department advised it. As she eats a lot of lentils / pulses / red meat she should be ok for iron so I've decided to just give her the normal alpro, not the infant one.

In answer to your question though OP, I use vitalite & soy milk to make a white sauce in the normal way, remove the baby's portion & add cheese for the rest of us. Can't taste the difference one the cheese is in! So that's macaroni cheese, lasagne, cauliflower cheese, sauce for fish or chicken etc sorted.

Sandwich fillings - houmous, ham, lentil pate, nut or seed butters with grated carrot or cucumber slices.

We also have risotto a lot which has a nice creamy texture but is dairy free.
Good luck with it all smile

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 13-Jan-14 07:18:05

If you do have ham or sausage, just check the label Ema as some do have milk in them.

Thought you might like this on bfing and food sensitivities and this from allergy uk smile

Emaclaire Mon 13-Jan-14 09:55:45

Great stuff everyone, thanks so much, think I'll be mumsnetting rather than googling from now on!! smile

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 13-Jan-14 13:20:41

Mn is so much better than google! grin

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 13-Jan-14 15:58:20

Found a recipe today for dairy free butter chicken, yes really! Am going to try that one this week smile

mamij Mon 13-Jan-14 16:14:52

Also, rather than using soya substitutes, you can use oat based substitutes (I never liked the soya cream/milks in recipes, but oat cream is perfectly nice!).

Stork (only the 250g and not the 500g for some reason) is dairy free, and can be substituted in cooking/baking.

Coconut milk is also a lovely substitute in recipes that call for yoghurt for example.

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 16-Jan-14 21:33:11

How are you getting on Ema?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now