Cooked anything particularly nice lately?

(79 Posts)
Selks Sun 12-Jan-14 02:00:40

Thread for us to share our culinary successes, unexpected or not.

I cooked dinner for a couple of friends today and was v pleased with how it all turned out. After Christmas stodgy I decided on a lighter menu which was:
Caramelised red onion, blue cheese and thyme quiche
Potato salad
Waldorf salad
Grated carrot and raw beet root salad
Green salad
Fresh baked rolls
Desert: roasted pineapple wedges with mint, topped with Greek yogurt and honey and pistachio nuts.

I will definitely make that again, it was delicious.

What have you cooked lately that you've been pleased with?

Teapot13 Sun 12-Jan-14 02:32:00

I cooked beet stew with meatballs -- it was a little different from what I usually make. When I make beets it's usually borshch, but this is apparently an Iranian dish so the spices were more exotic. I had beef so I used that instead of the lamb.

Both the baby and the preschooler ate the meatballs and the rice, and a bit of the vegetables, so I was pleased.

CheesyBadger Sun 12-Jan-14 03:22:20

Fish pie yesterday with eggs and peas in it ...Yum!
The other day i made a lemon butter sauce for chicken and it turned out very well

ihatethecold Sun 12-Jan-14 07:25:27

Nutella cookies.
They are so easy and taste amazing, my kids loved them

1 cup Nutella.
1cup flour
1 egg.
Mix together, form small balls and squash them slightly
Bake for 8 mins in a 170c oven.
They look like they need a little more cooking when you take them out.
Leave to cool, they are like Millie's cookies in texture.

A mumsnetter put this recipe on here over Xmas. I would thank them but I can't remember their name. !

Back2Two Sun 12-Jan-14 07:30:55

teapot oh! yum. That sounds great.

FunkyBoldRibena Sun 12-Jan-14 07:40:15

I made a lemon tart for our puddings over the festive period. It absolutely kicked ass.

Pounamu Sun 12-Jan-14 07:41:54

I made the Lamb Tagine from the Hairy Dieters book recently and served it with herbed couscous, it was absolutely divine! It's one of those meals that you feel really sad once you've finished eating - because it's been eaten, you're full and can't keep enjoying it any more. Does that make sense? Does anyone else get that sometimes?

Selks Sun 12-Jan-14 12:41:59

I like the sound of the Nutella cookies, might give those a go.
Lots of lovely sounding food on here - you've given me some ideas to try.

Selks Sun 12-Jan-14 12:43:16

Pounamu, yes I definitely get that grin

I cooked a Korean meal last night, fish patties, spinach and rice.

FreakoidOrganisoid Sun 12-Jan-14 14:47:45

Very easy but delicious and a bit different, cauliflower and aubergine pesto bake.
Steam cauliflower florets for a few mins. Mix with aubergine pesto. Put in oven dish. Grate cheese on top. Bake for 20 mins or so.

Selks Sun 12-Jan-14 20:21:02

Ooh nice, Nettosuperstar! Fab to see a photo. Wish I'd taken a pic of mine now. Thanks for linking to the recipes - off to take a look. I know nothing about Korean food.

Selks that sounds lush. I've just done oxtail stew for the first time today, it was divine. Did a valentine warner recipe with red wine, cloves and nutmeg and served with mustard mash and Savoy cabbage.

I've made a load to freeze but DH has asked if we can have it again tomorrow!

ishouldcocoa Sun 12-Jan-14 20:49:15

I've just made this: River Cottage Lamb and squash curry

T'was lovely grin

AmIIndecisive Sun 12-Jan-14 20:51:49

I just made Jamie Oliver's lamp chops with spring greens and herby lentils was yum (though took longer than the 15 minutes he said it would - we can all zest a lemon in 20 seconds!)

AmIIndecisive Sun 12-Jan-14 20:52:18

Meant can't not can

dairymoo Sun 12-Jan-14 21:46:51

Ottolenghi's lamb and rose-stuffed quails for tonight's supper - delish!

MajesticWhine Sun 12-Jan-14 21:53:07

Nigella chicken thighs with chorizo and potato. So so easy and absolutely delicious.

dairymoo Sun 12-Jan-14 21:54:55

That's a great recipe, isn't it MajesticWhine - need to get that on the menu this week!

PartTimeDomesticGoddess Sun 12-Jan-14 22:15:42

Another Nigella one from me, her marmite spaghetti. Very simple but delicious. Even sceptical DH was won over

Selks Sun 12-Jan-14 23:26:36

Rose stuffed quails? Wow!

Some amazing sounding flavour combos on this thread.

madamecake Mon 13-Jan-14 08:33:15

Not as exciting,as some of the dishes on this thread, but tasted delicious, and am still thinking about it now -
Chicken Chasseur
Followed by
Ginger, pear and almond cake

Selks Mon 13-Jan-14 11:18:03

That cake sounds lush, Madame.

Not very exciting but I made beef and bacon stew with cheesy herb mash on Saturday which was really lovely.

It was a proper winter dinner, IYSWIM

Big success grin

JamNan Mon 13-Jan-14 13:46:12

I cooked Yotam's Sweet and Smoky Mexican chicken recipe here it was very easy to prep and tasted divine. You need chipoltes which you can get in tesco or waitrose.

My other all time fave is Thai chicken noodle salad recipe here only we prefer egg noodles or soba noodles and a spoon full of peanut or cashew nut butter.

And another is Jamie Oliver's Spaghetti with prawns & rocket recipe here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now