Make mash extra-special without adding any dairy

(22 Posts)
ILoveAFullFridge Fri 10-Jan-14 17:30:51

Making mash potato topping all creamy and fluffy, with crispy crunch bits on top, but without adding any cheese or cream or anything squirted out of a mammal.

How?

ILoveAFullFridge Fri 10-Jan-14 17:32:46

Now, BTW, tonight.

Was distracted by dc fighting over bloody Minecraft and over-boiled the potatoes due to be roasted.

So it's a rescue mission!

bridgetsmum Fri 10-Jan-14 17:34:33

Marmite, it's yummy smile

Gileswithachainsaw Fri 10-Jan-14 17:34:51

Marge, non dairy milk, salt and proper and some whole grain mustard. Use a fork to make little peaks on the top that brown or pipe it

Catsmamma Fri 10-Jan-14 17:34:57

well a potato ricer will definitely help.

but that's not looking favourite for now this minute either.

Wolfcub Fri 10-Jan-14 17:35:07

Olive oil,

Onesleeptillwembley Fri 10-Jan-14 17:37:50

Any or all of;
Egg, just egg yolk, posh olive oil, onion powder, garlic, salt pepper, spring onions, chilli, dry fried curry powder, basil.

RRudyR Fri 10-Jan-14 17:42:29

Put a couple of garlic cloves in the water.

Oswin Fri 10-Jan-14 17:42:48

Parsnip and salt. Honestly it makes mash soo nice.

MincedMuff Fri 10-Jan-14 17:43:19

Mayo works well.

MyDogPoopsBaubles Fri 10-Jan-14 17:44:31

Lemon and olive oil, plus some fresh herbs if you've got any.

JaneEyresHeir Fri 10-Jan-14 17:45:09

Whole grain mustard is fab in mashed potato.

Theincidental Fri 10-Jan-14 17:47:41

Vegan garlic mayo absolutely rocks. It's quite strong though so you don't need much.

starfishmummy Fri 10-Jan-14 18:11:11

Put some dried breadcrumbs on top and then pop it in the oven/under the grill to crisp up.

Make your own dried breadcrumbs though, don't he the orange ones from packets!

Add some chopped spring onions or chives to it?

Beachcomber Fri 10-Jan-14 18:11:36

My kids are dairy allergic.

We make lovely fluffy mash adding olive oil (not too much), one egg yolk and if you have it, some rice milk for liquid. Mash till really mashed and then, this is vital - beat it really hard with a wooden spatula to get some air into it. Season, beat a little more and serve.

Snowdown Fri 10-Jan-14 19:08:22

Rosemary infused olive oil and caramelised onions.

I love hummus in mashed potatoes.

Thants Fri 10-Jan-14 19:57:31

Dairy free marg, salt and pepper, Alpro soya do cream, that'd make it lovely!

Thants Fri 10-Jan-14 19:58:40

Theincidental. Where do you get get vegan garlic mayo or do you make it? I have vegan mayo but that's all they have in my holland and Barrett.

mumbaisapphirebluespruce Fri 10-Jan-14 21:08:14

Roast some garlic bulbs in a good amount of olive oil until they are all gooey and soft. Squirt the cloves out of their skins and mash with a fork lightly in some of the olive oil you roasted them in, and then stir the mixture through the potato.

mrspremise Fri 10-Jan-14 21:41:01

olive oil, dijon mustard, loads of chopped spring onions. Beat in a egg yolk or two if you want to pipe it

ILoveAFullFridge Sat 11-Jan-14 00:13:47

I used Vitalite, goose fat, Oatly, and a little Marigold stock powder. It tasted delicious and looked really nice, with the ridges all browned and crispy, and the bits where it touched the sides of the oiled Pyrex dish fried crispy golden. But nonetheless it still lacked that lush creoness you get from adding real dairy.

I don't often make this, as its more work than simple roasties, but I'm going to have to do it more often and work my way through all these fabulous suggestions!

BTW, whole egg doesn't work well. I've tried it before. You get the creaminess inside, but the outside doesn't go crispy - it turns into a slightly leathery skin. But yolk on it's own OTOH I have not tried...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now