NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Vegan meal for meat-eating guest

(21 Posts)
MillyMollyMandy78 Tue 07-Jan-14 22:16:09

My DH and I are both vegan, for the last one and a half years. In that time we haven't had anyone round for dinner and i tend to cook the same boring average meals.

I have a friend coming to stay with us for a couple of days and i haven't got a clue what to cook for dinner. I can't eat indian food and my DH hates mexican food.

Want to keep it simple and casual so don't want anything too fancy, but also want to be able to show that you can still have really yummy, normal food as a vegan. Ideally something not too difficult and able to be prepared in advance. Not doing a starter as too formal a feel, so just main and perhaps a dessert or cake afterwards. Any ideas?

callamia Tue 07-Jan-14 22:24:01

Can you eat Thai food? I make red Thai curry for my vegan friend, and it's pretty much my favourite quick meal. Ottolenghi xookbooks are also good for inspiration.

There are tons of vegan cake recipes, I have a lovely ginger cake recipe, but any cake made with oil can be made to suit vegans.

MarianForrester Tue 07-Jan-14 22:25:07

This is delicious (obviously minus the dairy in the mash)

golden veggie shepherds pie

poopooheadwillyfatface Tue 07-Jan-14 22:28:11

I would love a garlicky mushroom pasta type thing. I eat meat, but not much and DH doesn't eat meat at all - I much prefer things that are happily meat-free rather than a vegetarian version of a meat dish IYKWIM.

MarianForrester Tue 07-Jan-14 22:28:17

The suggested braised lettuce and peas to go with it sounds nice too, though I haven't tried it.

Theas18 Tue 07-Jan-14 22:29:04

Honestly? I eat meat but I'd love a vegan meal. It is " just yummy normal
Food" isn't it?

Just make what you love and any decent friend will love it too smile remember your " boring usual" is unusual for your friend!

Cataline Tue 07-Jan-14 22:30:16

Risotto? I do a lemon, thyme and mushroom risotto with chestnut and porcini mushrooms. Really simple and fairly foolproof. Olive oil, onions, leeks, thyme, lemon peel. Fry until soft then add arborio rice. Fry for 1 minute then add generous glug of White or rose wine. Stir and add veg stock. Keep stirring and adding stock until rice is almost done then add chopped mushrooms. When rice is cooked, add lots of finely grated vegan hard cheese, more lemon rind and juice, black pepper and fresh thyme. Delicious!

MarianForrester Tue 07-Jan-14 22:36:08

this chilli is also tasty, with all the trimmings could be nice casual guest meal

MarianForrester Tue 07-Jan-14 22:37:06

That risotto recipe sounds delicious though! smile

Cataline Tue 07-Jan-14 22:40:46

It is a favourite in our house! Particularly good with warm crusty olive bread and the remainder of the wine you opened to go in the risotto!

ShoeWhore Tue 07-Jan-14 22:42:24

this chickpea and aubergine dish is amazing - obviously without the ham! We're not veggie but I never bother with the ham anyway. Good with couscous or with crusty bread to soak up the delicious juices. You could add a green salad too.

Snowdown Tue 07-Jan-14 22:42:25

This Potato and leek rosti with chickpea salad is so easy and tasty, even my kids love it! And for pudding I would make a treacle tart, serve with Swedish Glacé vanilla ice cream.

MarianForrester Tue 07-Jan-14 22:43:06

I am definitely making that this weekend!

MillyMollyMandy78 Tue 07-Jan-14 22:45:56

Poopoo - garlic mushroom pasta thing sounds straight up our street (though torn, as risotto is also a good idea). Unfortunately husband also hates thai food (awkward couple, between us both)!

Thinking maybe tagliatelle and mushrooms, with a creamy garlic sauce, using Alpro Soya cream. Could also serve it with some nice bread/ homemade garlic bread and salad.

WilsonFrickett Wed 08-Jan-14 12:17:42

IMVHO, as long as you avoid tofu and too many pulses, you'll be fine. A whole plate of beans seems to signal 'worthy' to my friends who eat a lot of meat, and some people (including me and I eat veggie a lot) are very funny about tofu texture. As Thea says, it's all good yummy food!

mrspremise Wed 08-Jan-14 20:10:35

Just out of interest, DO vegans eat yeast products like bread or marmite? Please settle a long-running dispute between DH and me... smile

onetiredmummy Wed 08-Jan-14 20:19:28

Whole wheat pasta with sauce made from an onion fried in olive oil, a couple of crushed garlic cloves, tin of tomatoes and jar of black olives. Serve with bread to mop up delicious sauce smile

Can I ask a couple of stupid questions? I am a "eat a bit of meat" person but prob veggie for 90% meals.

Yummy as garlic/mushroom pasta and various risottos etc sound, am I missing something or is there no protein in those? I have a bee in my bonnet about needing protein in all meals so am always trying to add pulses/seeds/nuts/eggs/cheese etc to make sure it's there. Do those sorts of meals keep you feeling full?

Cataline Thu 09-Jan-14 09:34:22

MrsPremise- yes, vegans do eat products with yeast! It's alive but only in the way that a plant is alive . No Central Nervous System!

WilsonFrickett Thu 09-Jan-14 12:35:06

spil I think protein does keep you feel full, but so does carbs, especially wholewheat.

It's a good idea to think about the amount of protein you need as a veggie, my rule of thumb would be though that you need it every day - not necessarily in every meal.

Cheese/nuts particularly you need to watch your fat. Eggs - personally I can't eat too many as it has a very unpleasant side effect on me.

Pulses are good for protein and low fat/high fibre so a good choice. But if you have, say, milk on cereal and porridge for breakfast and beans on toast for lunch, you're fine to have pasta or risotto without protein for dinner.

sashh Sat 11-Jan-14 02:11:30

Aubergine and tomato casserole.
Risotto.
Thick vegi or bean soup.
veg wedges roasted in olive oil.
stuffed peppers.
Beans on toast

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now