Curry for a vegetarian - advice please?

(16 Posts)
Castlelough Sun 05-Jan-14 09:20:13

My friend is going through a difficult time and I want to take her some dinner when I visit on Wednesday.
She's a vegetarian (no fish!) so I've been racking my brain for a dish that she can freeze/heat up and have settled on a curry.

I made a fab one this week from a Slimming World recipe. My first time making a curry from scratch.

I was hoping to replicate it, but without the chicken. It is a Malaysian curry.
Which vegetables would be appropriate to use to replace the chicken?

I have sweet potatoes and a tin of chickpeas in the cupboard. But I was wondering if they are more for an Indian curry?

I could put in extra peppers/ babycorn/ sugar
snap? Would mushroom work? Which other veggies might work?

Thank you!

Castlelough Sun 05-Jan-14 09:24:14

Also, the recipe didn't have coconut milk in it. It had stock and creme fraiche instead. If I were to add coconut milk would I leave out the creme fraiche or would I also adjust the stock?
As I said, I'm a curry novice!
But I have a fridge/cupboard full of lemongrass, fresh mint, ginger & coriander, limes, spices etc so I thought I would use them....

DropDeadThread Sun 05-Jan-14 09:29:13

You can use anything. I like cauliflower, sweet potato and lots of tomatoes but you can't go wrong really smile

What a nice friend you are.

eatyourveg Sun 05-Jan-14 09:30:53

You could always substitute quorn for the chicken

Bunbaker Sun 05-Jan-14 09:33:31

Indian food is probably the easiest cuisine to cater for vegetarians because so many people on the Indian subcontinent are vegetarian anyway.

The ingredients you plan on using sound like they would be the basis of a delicious curry.

This is an excellent website for Indian recipes. I would also consider doing something lentil based or with chickpeas. Also look for Madhur Jaffrey and Jamie Oliver recipes.

I make this a lot as it is a favourite in the bunbaker household. I leave out the lime pickle though as I don't like it

RiojaHaze Sun 05-Jan-14 09:36:40

I've used an Ainsley Harriott recipe before for an African curry that has sweet potato, white potato, butternut squash and sultanas in that is lovely.

Castlelough Sun 05-Jan-14 15:40:14

Thanks for the advice everyone! :-)

I won't risk quorn (just in case!).

I've no idea what the difference between Indian and Malaysian curry would be, but my recipe says Malaysian.

Just checking ....
Can I just sub some coconut milk in instead of some of the stock?

Think I will get some cauliflower. Would tomatoes turn it red? Or does that even matter? <novice alert!>

Bunbaker Sun 05-Jan-14 18:08:06

I think coconut milk would improve the curry (because I love coconut milk)

BikeRunSki Sun 05-Jan-14 18:16:30

Don't use quorn, it is horrible in curry.

I make a yummy curry out of butternut squash and / or sweet potato, cubed; box of green beans cut into pieces; chopped onion, some cherry toms if I have them, baby corn if I have it. Fry up, add a tin of coconut milk and a green oxo cube and a couple of tablespoons of curry paste. Cook 20 mins or so til everything is soft. Freezes well too, and even fussy 5 yo ds will eat it.

Droves Sun 05-Jan-14 18:16:31

Ive just had 3 bean chilli .. kidney , blackeye and harricot beans also added a few chickpeas and a jar of chilli sauce ... sneaked a square of dark chocolate and extra chilis and a teaspoon of mexican smokey tomato paste ... best one yet .

Not a curry but good .

Usually its chuck in whatever veg ive got and hope for the best ....

Castlelough Sun 05-Jan-14 23:21:29

Thanks everyone for all the advice and ideas! Cooking up a storm in Tuesday evening :-) <will be ready by then!>

MissBurrows Sun 05-Jan-14 23:25:17

I made a gorgeous sweet potato curry... sweet potatoes usually go down well.

WilsonFrickett Mon 06-Jan-14 15:27:03

Yes, in general you can sub stock/water/tin of tomatoes or passata/coconut milk for each other in any curry. They will all turn out slightly differently of course, but that's part of the fun!

Judez99 Mon 06-Jan-14 22:42:01

I use my mum's recipe for veggie curry and one of the main ingredients is aubergine - they are quite fleshy and make quite a decent meat substitute, I think!

BikeRunSki Tue 07-Jan-14 06:55:46

The thing is Judez - a lot of veggies don't like the texture of meat and don't need it substituting.

Castlelough Wed 08-Jan-14 00:52:14

Made the curry this evening! Thanks for all the tips and advice! Hope she likes it. Visiting tomorrow!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now