Sausage rolls that don't involve pork

(19 Posts)
didireallysaythat Mon 09-Dec-13 11:31:46

I think those small sausage rolls (you know, bag of 50 in the freezer, wonderfulyl lazy) are part of christmas but DS1 can't do pork. Any recipes for a good substitution ? Other meat, quorn etc all fine. Freezerable a big advantage

TIA

BertieBowtiesAreCool Mon 09-Dec-13 11:36:31

Could google halal sausage rolls? I bet you'd find some turkey ones. Or veggie ones - cheese and onion works well.

BertieBowtiesAreCool Mon 09-Dec-13 11:38:34

Remember when you freeze them, freeze in batches on a baking tray (spread out) and then put into a bag when solid, if you try to freeze them in a bag when still squishy they will all stick together.

Glamorgan sausages are cheese and onion, I think.Could turn those into a saugsage roll with pastry?
Or some sort of fish?
I'd google veggie sausgaes, and then turn into sausage rolls.
Turkey mince with flavouring, quished into sausages and wrapped in pastry would work.

Linda McCartney sell frozen meat free ones that taste delicious smile

mrspremise Mon 09-Dec-13 15:26:18

smile Most supermarkets do cheese and onion rolls that look like mini sausage rolls iirc

GinOnTwoWheels Mon 09-Dec-13 15:37:11

Could you make your own using bought puff pastry and sausages that your DS can eat?

didireallysaythat Mon 09-Dec-13 17:14:07

I've just made turkey mince sausage rolls using some random recipe from the tinternet. They are ok. But not great. I think making your own using pork sausages if you can't get sausagemeat from a butcher is ok as once you get the stuff out of the casings, you don't need to do a lot. The turkey mince though is still a bit granular (I added breadcrumbs, onions, herbs, tomato puree and for the second batch branson pickle I found in the back of the fridge). Edible but not the best thing I've ever made.

I'll keep searching for a good recipe. Keep the ideas coming !

Pancakeflipper Mon 09-Dec-13 17:16:38

Chicken and apple - with a good array of herbs (but can get soggy so sometimes firm it up with breadcrumbs.

I made these before and they were really lovely.

Just leave out the bacon, sorry, forgot that was in them!

BertieBowtiesAreCool Mon 09-Dec-13 17:22:42

You could use chicken or beef sausages and squeeze the sausagemeat out of those like you would with pork?

dairymoo Wed 11-Dec-13 22:09:49

Nigel Slater has a lovely salmon & beetroot one...

tabulahrasa Wed 11-Dec-13 22:18:45

Linda McCartney sausage rolls are pretty good...if you want to make them...asda have this and I think other supermarkets have similar stuff.

Or beef sausages?

MrsBobHale Thu 12-Dec-13 09:08:25

I usually make these at Christmas as I have a lot of veggie friends.

They are surprisingly easy and as a pp said, if you freeze them on trays they can go straight in the oven.

Delia's Vegetarian book has delicious sausage rolls made with cheese and onion.

Sorry just noticed recipe already posted. Try them, they really are fab

MrsPnut Fri 13-Dec-13 06:43:43

I always make the Delia ones for christmas and parties. I use ready rolled puff pastry and freeze them uncooked ona baking sheet. Then when frozen bag them up and cook from frozen as needed.

Vajazzler Fri 13-Dec-13 07:18:25

My friend makes them with ready to roll pastry and chicken hotdogs. Would that work for him?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now