What to serve for tea on Christmas Day

(13 Posts)
Jiltedjohnsjulie Sun 08-Dec-13 23:19:59

We should be having lunch about 12ish provided I'm not too tipsy and then the rest defend on us about 4pm.

I'm just wondering what to serve as everyone will have had a large lunch. I'm doing a ham and there should be plenty of Turkey and beef left over from lunch. I'm DF, one is vegetarian and DHs family are cheese and dairy obsessed grin

gillyvee Sun 08-Dec-13 23:31:08

Provide some lovely, crusty French sticks, a dish of butter, sweet pickled onions and whatever selection of cold meats and cheese you wish to use up. Maybe a fruit trifle or fresh fruit salad. Prepared in advance, so that you, too can enjoy the fayre. Enjoy.

Jiltedjohnsjulie Sun 08-Dec-13 23:34:46

Thank you gilly that sounds lovely and delicious smile

Snowbility Mon 09-Dec-13 07:06:59

I don't think people will be hungry at 4.00pm - maybe serve some mince pies, crisps, nuts and chocs and have some homemade sausage rolls in the freezer, to pop in the oven if anyone feels the need. But I wouldn't go all out, unless you have a few hungry teenage boys coming around - then I'd be doing turkey sandwiches.

Jiltedjohnsjulie Mon 09-Dec-13 07:26:55

Sorry should have said, won't be serving it at 4pm, that's when everyone arrives for the rest of the evening.

mrspremise Mon 09-Dec-13 15:25:02

A glass of wine and a chocolate orange that's what I want

Jiltedjohnsjulie Mon 09-Dec-13 15:34:04

You can come then mrspremise grin

I'd be happy with that too but would love to see my teetotal MILs face if that's all she was offered. FIL would probably be happy though smile

Snowbility Mon 09-Dec-13 17:25:27

I'd not want to cook again, I'd do help yourself sandwiches with lots of meat & dairy salad and chutney....but you know your guests, how many would eat a full on meal twice in one day?

Lavenderhoney Mon 09-Dec-13 17:30:16

I will be plonking a buffet of everything left over onto the table, and if ds is starving as usual he can have a lasagne out of the freezer.

Lots of cheese and crusty bread is a good idea posted earlier.

The excitement of being allowed to eat and graze whilst on the sofa and watching tv, as its not allowed the rest of the year, will distract from the fact I am not cooking and the kitchen is closed.

Cheese and crackers. Trifle.

Jiltedjohnsjulie Mon 09-Dec-13 18:28:37

Trifle already on order, my DF is bringing it smile

Guess what I want for dinner now?!

Mrswellyboot Mon 09-Dec-13 18:36:13

Make life easy for yourself and have sandwiches prepared and maybe leave out cake etc
Or something quick and tasty like garlic bread, olives etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now