easy starter for Christmas that can be made ahead?

(15 Posts)
gretagrape Sat 07-Dec-13 07:10:49

Hi. Looking for ideas for a starter for 5 people for Christmas - preferably something I can make ahead and either freeze or at least put in the fridge for a couple of days.
Thought about something like mackerel pate but maybe that's too rich just before a huge roast?! So something fresh and light - couldn't come up with anything except the 70's-tastic prawn cocktail!
Oh, and my cooker is about 20 years old and on its last legs - turkey is probably going to take about 3 days to cook, so something on the hob or cold would be good!
Any inspiration?
x

TheLeastAccomplishedBennetGirl Sat 07-Dec-13 07:13:41

Tomato soup?

But you can't beat a good prawn cocktail smile

Onetwothreeoops Sat 07-Dec-13 07:22:45

Melon and Parma ham mmmmmm!

PastaBeeandCheese Sat 07-Dec-13 07:25:02

Homemade soup or a salad of some description that just needs plating up and no cooking?

Agree pâté is very rich before a meal. That said my dad often does pâté as a starter for us at Christmas. <shakes fist at growing bump whilst lamenting lack of Christmas pate>

ZaZazebra Sat 07-Dec-13 07:28:32

Buy, chop and freeze smoked salmon. Take out of freezer night before serve on toasted bread with cream cheese/ black pepper / lemon / dill (if you like dill). Chop toast up small to make it look nice.

gretagrape Sat 07-Dec-13 14:27:24

Thanks all - I did a salmon and dill starter a few years ago, and this smoked salmon one would be even easier so think I might go for that.
Yum!

qazxc Sat 07-Dec-13 14:35:43

Shamelessly lurking in hope of good ideas.
Was planning on a rocket, roasted butternut squash and parmesan salad. But DP has turned his nose up, and declared that christmas dinner is not the time to be healthy.
He doesn't eat seafood, so smoked salmon and prawn cocktail are out.
I'm upduffed so pate/terrine are out.
First time MIL and BIL are coming over for Christmas. Help!

mrspremise Sat 07-Dec-13 19:48:41

If DH is being a dick fussy, maybe the starter should, just perhaps, be HIS job? grin

LoveSewingBee Sat 07-Dec-13 21:45:26

Chicken soup or chicken bouillon with ravioli. Ravioli will need to be cooked in the bouillon right before serving otherwise it gets soggy. Chicken soup can be made way ahead and be frozen put in fridge eve before you need it. Serve with grissini or toast.

BananaNotPeelingWell Sat 07-Dec-13 21:52:36

I made this once and it was very nice. I would happily make it again, its not that hot and spicy, but I'm not sure it's my ds's sort of thing because he only really likes quite plain boring food so its good old prawn cockail again this Christmas for us.

chopin33 Sat 07-Dec-13 21:54:26

How about potted shrimps?

RunningOutOfIdeas Sat 07-Dec-13 21:57:54

Parma ham, pear, rocket and Parmesan is good. Wrap a slice of pear with a thin slice of Parmesan (use potato peeler to do thin cheese slice) and some rocket leaves in Parma ham. Hold together with a cocktail stick.

Lunaballoon Sun 08-Dec-13 14:43:31

These are very nice but maybe a bit rich before Xmas dinner.

Mmm smoked salmon on thin toasts with black pepper is my ideal starter. Unfortunately I'm the only person who likes it in the house.

I think pate is fine for Christmas starter- it's Christmas, there's no such thing as too heavy for Christmas!wink

Last year my mum served a slice of Christmas ham, topped with a small poached egg and a bit of rocket as the starter, and, whilst unusual, it was lovely, and I am considering adopting it this year.

Crikeyblimey Sun 08-Dec-13 19:09:49

I always do a platter of Italian meats, some chopped figs and some nice leaves. If there's enough people I do a fishy plate too. A few prawns, some smoked makrel and smoked salmon. A small bowl of Marie Rose sauce, some thinly sliced brown bread. Yummy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now