Homemade food gift to take when invited for lunch...?

(35 Posts)
Wigeon Wed 04-Dec-13 20:28:55

I am going to someone's house next week for lunch and would like to take some kind of homemade food as a gift. The couple are much older than me, wealthy and upper class, so I am feeling slightly intimidated about what to make. So far, all I can think of is biscotti, eg www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/8022/fruity-christmas-biscotti. Any other ideas?

Laquila Wed 04-Dec-13 22:55:43

Really good Rocky Road, with lovely biscuits and maybe brazils or hazlenuts, and bits of truffle in it, would be lovely. Calling it tiffin might be appropriately colonial! ;)

stephenisjustcoming Thu 05-Dec-13 14:26:24

A lot comes down to presentation, I reckon - I often give dried cherry and pistachio biscotti at this time of year, because you can slice them into long thin fingers, showing off the red/green chunks, then put them in a nice cellophane bag tied with plenty of ribbon. Much as I LOVE chocolate truffles, it can be quite hard to present them in a way that doesn't look like your children made them, and if the recipients are of the 'ew, homemade food made in someone's filthy home and touched with someone's hands' variety whom I never knew existed until MN they might be put off by the 'touchiness' of them. Mad, I know.

Wigeon Thu 05-Dec-13 21:51:03

Thank you all for further replies! fsmile

Hm, it's definitely between biscotti and posh rocky road. Like the idea of slicing biscotti thinly so they aren't just hard rocks...

Snowbility Thu 05-Dec-13 22:01:13

Crystallised Ginger shortbread semi-dipped in dark choc....very grown up! Wrap stacked in cellophane.

HepzibahFlurge Fri 06-Dec-13 18:45:42

flapjacks smile

Wigeon Fri 06-Dec-13 21:35:07

Thanks - I make a fantastic flapjack (using SoupDragon's recipe from many past threads here!), but think they say cosy-domesticated-mum-home-baking rather than sophisticated-elegant-swanning-around-posh-persons-house-career-woman, which is what I am trying to convey through the medium of gifted food...! I like the ginger shortbread semi-dipped malarky idea though - nice....

stephenisjustcoming Fri 06-Dec-13 21:55:58

Long biscotti are great! Perfect for dunking in hot chocolate. And the smaller ones are good presents because they can be brought out when unexpected guests come over, and be passed off with after-dinner coffee instead of pudding, as 'something i made earlier'...

Shortbread stars are always good, for the same reason. (250g flour; 50g cornflour or ground rice; 200g butter; 100g sugar) If you have a set of star cutters you can make a selection of different sizes, or make some chocolate/orange-scented/almond, then dust with caster sugar as they're cooling, and stack in a clear cellophane bag.

To be honest, if someone gave me some Rocky Road, it wouldn't even make it to tea time... grin

Wigeon Sun 08-Dec-13 20:07:50

After much umming and arhing, I have decided on the Ottolenghi spice biscuits - thank you dairymoo. But I love rocky road, so have decided to make the Nigella Christmas Rocky Road for my team at work, and give some to each of them in pretty cellophane bags with ribbons. YUM! Thank you for all the ideas. thanks

dairymoo Mon 09-Dec-13 09:24:03

You'll not regret it, they are delish. And you're right...the candied peel make them look a bit more elegant. Could dip one half in chocolate too which would be lovely.

Wigeon Thu 12-Dec-13 21:34:49

Made the biscuits! Gave the biscuits! Kept three aside for testing! They were indeed delicious and looked lovely. Thank you again, dairymoo.

They did come out quite dark-coloured - quite a bit darker than the photo - presumably because of the 150g of grated chocolate (I don't think they were burnt!). Do yours too?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now