Cheese fondue for a 2 year old

(13 Posts)
lookout Sat 30-Nov-13 09:22:03

Would you? I would but dh is worried about salt/fat content for a boy of 2. What do you think?

Flisspaps Sat 30-Nov-13 09:39:24

Unless he's eating it every night, what's the problem? I'd not have given it a second thought re fat (which little kids need) and salt. Hot, melty, drippy cheese and small children might put me off though!

LIZS Sat 30-Nov-13 09:41:06

fine occasionally, he is unlikely to eat a lot of it. Have some salad veg available as well as bread.

strruglingoldteach Sat 30-Nov-13 09:42:12

I did it for dd2 about a fortnight ago! But the kids just had cheese sauce instead of 'proper' fondue, so it was similar to having pasta in cheese sauce.

cupcake78 Sat 30-Nov-13 09:42:57

Oh yum! Haven't had one for years and now I really really want one grin

I think its ok as long as you check it's not like hot lava before they munch.

lookout Sat 30-Nov-13 09:48:11

Ok, good, it's a new Christmas Eve tradition, started last year with ds1 who was then 8. This year ds2 will be 2 so we wanted to involve him. It will only be once a year though, fondue is yummy but a bit death by cholesterol grin. Planning on having carrot, steamed broccoli and celery sticks available along with the bread. Will def be careful with the heat, too. Dh is a worry-wart so he's bound to be all over that wink. Thanks for the replies.

LIZS Sat 30-Nov-13 09:59:05

We usually do a fish fondue for NY .

ChippingInLovesAutumn Sat 30-Nov-13 10:02:51

Surely you give him cheese normally - what's the difference if it's served like this?

lookout Sat 30-Nov-13 10:04:33

Chipping I think it was the quantity of cheese in a fondue that was worrying dh, there must be 4oz cheese each in a fondue; like I said though, he does worry A Lot grin

ChippingInLovesAutumn Sat 30-Nov-13 10:07:55

It wouldn't even have occured to me to worry - not even if it was a reasonably regular thing, let alone once a year grin

lookout Sat 30-Nov-13 10:10:31

Haha, cheese is very good, yes! Though not so much on the waist line. Last year I think I put on about 6kg of cheese alone wink

I thought you were going to say you were worried about the alcohol content!

Goodness, it will be fine. My only concern would be that he might over eat and feel really queasy - which is exactly what I've done on the few occasions I've had fondue myself - it's a bit like fudge in that respect if you're lacking in self-restraint (like me).

mrspremise Sat 30-Nov-13 15:38:54

MY two love apple wedges to dip in cheese fondue. Just an idea smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now