NYE - main course suggestions!

(21 Posts)
SilverLining Thu 28-Nov-13 14:54:27

That's it really - we're hosting NYE dinner & need to do main course. Was going to do 2 different curries with rice,bread etc but just wonder if it's a bit boring! Fab something different - saw recipe for pulled lamb burgers & thought that could be an option. DH thinks it will be too much hassle & curry is easier. He's probably right but anyone have any other ideas??? It's for 8 adults - no dietary requirements!! Thankyou!!

WilsonFrickett Thu 28-Nov-13 14:59:18

Steak pie is the traditional Scottish NY dish!

SilverLining Thu 28-Nov-13 16:22:46

I love the idea of a pie! I'll propose it to DH & wait for his views....

magimedi Thu 28-Nov-13 16:49:20

I was coming her to say curry. I've done it for NYE before now, a couple of different meat curries, a couple of veggie ones, lots of relishes etc & people have really loved it - everyone said it made such a nice change after turkey/mince pies/ham etc etc.

SilverLining Thu 28-Nov-13 17:06:44

Good point Magimedi - it does mean I can do a lot of it in advance too. I just had a mad thought of doing something completely different - but that might be a step too far!!!

Shropshiremummy2B Thu 28-Nov-13 17:18:34

Beef Wellington, can do on advance and yumalicious.

Bradsplit Thu 28-Nov-13 17:21:43

i think it is wise to worry about this now

SilverLining Thu 28-Nov-13 17:45:52

I LOVE beef wellington Shropshiremummy2B - that's definitely on my possible list - thankyou!

Bradsplit - touch of sarcasm??! I have a houseful from mid Dec onwards with various family members coming and going so I really do have to think about it now!

magimedi Thu 28-Nov-13 18:03:28

Silver - if you have a houseful you are very wise to be planning ahead. Years ago I use to have a houseful & 14 on 'The Day' & my list making was epic & a joke in the family. I had lists for food, lists for pressies, lists for jobs & I think I even had a 'List of Lists'!!! Daft - but it really helped me to enjoy it. Go for whatever is easiest.

This year DH & I are buggering off in mid December & get home on Christmas Eve (a bargain time to travel). We shall have something from the freezer for 25th - possibly spag & meatballs. I really enjoy not doing it nowadays!

SilverLining Thu 28-Nov-13 19:57:40

Thanks Magi - I love a list too! I love the chaos actually and believe it'll always be alright on the night!!!! Although I would also love the idea of traveling & then freezer meal on the day! Have a lovely time!!!

mimolette Thu 28-Nov-13 22:04:42

I would definitely recommend doing something that can be prepared in advance so you are not slaving away while the guests are there - I reckon that rules out the lamb burgers as you would have to be fairly hands on with frying or grilling them on the night. Personally, I would be very happy to be served curry, but can see that it may not look all that festive. Beef wellington is glorious, but very expensive. Or you could do salmon encroute - whole salmon or individual portions - for a cheaper wellington-style alternative that still looks quite fancy.

SilverLining Fri 29-Nov-13 11:30:41

thanks Mimolette - you sound just like DH!!! He's not a fish eater unfortunately as I love Salmon encroute! I am leaning more and more towards curry and reckon I can do it with all the extras, make the table look lovely and just sit back and eat!!! Thanks for the ideas though - you're definitely right about cooking the burgers altho I did suggest sending DH out to cook them on the BBQ!!!! Didn't go down quite so well....!!!

superlambanana Fri 29-Nov-13 11:42:32

Look up pork Wellington on BBC food website - tis absolutely gorgeous and cheaper than beef.

I'd be quite happy with curry though!

I do Toad in the Hole and a pile of Mash! Yummy... And it's stodgy enough to line your stomach for all the vino and champers!

Chewbecca Fri 29-Nov-13 17:27:58

Damn, just seen your DH doesn't like fish as I wanted to suggest SSsalmon Coulibiac, love this recipe, not expensive and great for a party, all made in advance.

SilverLining Sun 01-Dec-13 17:00:56

Blimey - thanks everyone - I'm going to need to host a few more bashes - love the idea of pork wellington and toad in the hole always a fave in this house! A girls night in might just be the occasion to do the salmon coulibiac - looks lush!!!! Thankyou!!!

Snowbility Sun 01-Dec-13 20:56:48

Depends how formal - I'd tend to do a big slow roast stew. Ottolenghi's Lamb shamwarma with chilli sauces, salads and homemade pitta - a lot easier than you think. Pulled pork, with slaw and lovely fresh white rolls. Fish pie with buttery greens. More formal - Jamie Oliver's lamb shanks - everything done in advance except for a buttery mash.

SilverLining Sun 01-Dec-13 22:12:08

Oooo Snowbility - like the sound of that! Pulled pork is quite a regular in our house anyway & unfortunately DH refuses to do fish! But really like the idea of the lamb with chili sauce & pitta - is the recipe on line do you know???

SilverLining Sun 01-Dec-13 22:13:26

Found the recipe - my mouth is watering.....gringringringrin

WilsonFrickett Sun 01-Dec-13 23:45:31

The Ottolenghi lamb is bloody amazing OP, well worth making anytime you have a crowd to feed and snow is right - its basically marinaded slow cooked lamb so really easy to do, no last minute faffing.

SilverLining Mon 02-Dec-13 10:21:42

I think I might just have found my main course!!! Yum!!!!!!gringringringrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now