what do I do with those bags of mixed root veg?

(12 Posts)

Slow cook them with beef stock, ale, beef and some lentils.

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 21-Nov-13 16:58:34

My stew would end up like your housemate's. Fry off the floured beef chunks first so that they take on a bit of colour. As long as you cook it long and slow with plenty of seasoning ... Gas 2 or equivalent... it's lovely.

Toowittoowoo Thu 21-Nov-13 16:35:30

Right so those packs normally have carrot, swede, leek and potato - am I right?

When I was in uni (years ago!) one of my housemates used to make us an amazing stew in her mums old slow cooker with swede and carrot and beef (maybe some bisto too?). I dream about that stew. Not the type of thing I grew up eating or have ever really tried to cook. But it was sooo good. ..

I think if I followed cogito's instructions bit might be similar? I'm 40 +3 weeks pregnant and if the baby still hasn't come by Sunday we are so eating that with yorkshire puddings.

I've been costing up all the meals to see how expensive they all are and although I thought we ate a very varied diet it seems that, in terms of veg, we actually eat peppers, tomatoes, courgette, broccoli, peas, carrots and mushrooms. Honestly I had never noticed that all our food has the same ingredients!

JamNan Thu 21-Nov-13 16:22:13

lovely veg soup with butter beans and/or dumplings/lentils. Or you could add curly kale or greens too and a bit of chorizo.

DembaBa Thu 21-Nov-13 11:00:17

Make chicken stew and dumplings! Yum.

bundaberg Thu 21-Nov-13 10:59:35

no i don't buy them, i would buy them loose as it's (usually) cheaper

i make:
veggie stews
veg curry
veg chilli
roast veg with cous cous and feta
roast as a side with other meals

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 21-Nov-13 10:59:10

Peel, chop, add to plenty of floured stewing or braising steak (often sold these days as 'Basic' or 'Value' - dead cheap) in a casserole dish with a little stock and some seasoning, bake on a low light for 3 or 4 hours and you've got an enormous and very tasty beef stew,

Theas18 Thu 21-Nov-13 10:57:08

Agree veg soup here. With lentils and a bit of curry paste.. Nom!

Or casserole - veg- meat - can of beer/red wine.

Or a thicker chunkier more curried lentil/veg dish - veg curry, dhansak stylee.

TheWomanTheyCallSarahJane Thu 21-Nov-13 10:51:34

Also I make muffins with some root veg

TheWomanTheyCallSarahJane Thu 21-Nov-13 10:51:11

Or mixed roasted veg. I throw in lumps of cheese too. Roasted red onions mmm

Branleuse Thu 21-Nov-13 10:50:11

i buy the mixed packs of chopped veg and put them in a big pan with a couple of stock cubes and some lentils. Lazy soup.

Toowittoowoo Thu 21-Nov-13 10:46:17

I see them in the supermarket and they look quite appealing but I have never bought them. Does anyone buy these bag and does some cheap meals with them?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now