lunchbox police - mortified. Help me!

(33 Posts)
Queenofknickers Mon 18-Nov-13 18:57:04

Ds2 (8) will not eat fruit or veg blush It's impossible. Only healthy snack he likes is nuts which are banned at school. I have brought him up exactly same as DS1 (9) who eats anything. I work FT and DH is p/t and in charge of lunch boxes - he has kind of given up and now just puts brownies etc in as snacks. I picked them up for first time from school today as I have rare day off and was MORTIFIED to be told off by school about the unhealthy lunches. Please help me 1) think of things DH can put in instead and 2) tell him without him thinking I'm criticising.......

Queenofknickers Tue 19-Nov-13 09:00:37

Thanks for all your great suggestions. Yes DS can spot a shred of carrot (or anything even purée) in anything. I have baked/minced/blended/had reward charts EVERYTHING!!!!! He actually gags and chokes (not acting) on fruit and veg. DH has, as I worried, taken it tremendously personally and decided he is "letting them down". I have advised we just try 2x lots of sandwiches with maybe some cheese Dunkers and cut out the sweet stuff. And buy some vitamins.

DH v stressed and shouty hmm

yegodsandlittlefishes Tue 19-Nov-13 09:11:06

My God, my DH has never so much as thought of preparing a packed school lunch, and if he had ever had to it would have been a Wagon Wheel and a packet of crisps from a corner shop on the school run! Tell your DH that you are both doing fine and he'll eat fruit and veg when he needs to. Put a little tub of grapes or cherry tomatoes in with his lunch once a week, and the occasional bit of fruit cake. Let them see if they can make him eat it! (They won't, but it'll keep them quiet.)

What about dried seeds, if he's not allowed nuts?

sashh Tue 19-Nov-13 10:10:44

Ask DS2 what he would like that the school think is OK.

Have a look on the internet, in cook books etc

moogalicious Wed 20-Nov-13 14:35:29

popcorn?

NoComet Wed 20-Nov-13 14:43:59

It's non of schools business what is in lunch boxes, Smile and nod.

Likewisekewise, if like DD2 squash is all they will drink, that US what goes in their bottle.

DD does like fruit, but wastes it in her hurry to go out and play, therefore she gets it when she gets home.

NoComet Wed 20-Nov-13 14:47:21

To be fair DDs BY has sense, he passes healthy eating and drinking pronouncements because he feels he should. He isn't so daft as to think we are going to take any notice.

NoComet Wed 20-Nov-13 14:47:37

by HT

You could try the nakd bars? They are a bit pricy but are purely pounded up dates/raisins/cashews & various extras for variety like cocoa powder.

www.naturalbalancefoods.co.uk/nakd-fruit-and-nut-bars/

You can buy them in Tesco etc. A 4 pack of the cocoa ones is about £2.70 so same price as vending machine choc to be fair.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now