NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

I've run out of bread flour - can I use plain in my breadmaker?

(18 Posts)
HettiePetal Mon 11-Nov-13 16:55:52

Have all the other ingredients, including yeast - just not the strong bread flour.

Thanks.

hermioneweasley Mon 11-Nov-13 16:57:12

No, it won't have a high enough protein level

MyCatLovesMeSometimes Mon 11-Nov-13 16:58:06

No not enough gluten in it (I once mistakenly put some in and it was terrible).

ZingWantsGin Mon 11-Nov-13 16:59:19

no. it won't work because the gluten level is not high enough.

KirstyJC Mon 11-Nov-13 16:59:24

You can do half normal plain flour and half bread flour (Hugh's magic dough recipe does this and it's fine) but not all normal plain.

Works fine for me.

HettiePetal Mon 11-Nov-13 17:10:53

Four no's - one yes.

What make do you use, Pacific?

ZingWantsGin Mon 11-Nov-13 17:17:33

Pacific do you make it on your new gadget?grin

I often use any old flour,

was that wrong?

Pachacuti Mon 11-Nov-13 17:20:07

If you've only got plain flour and want to make bread you could make soda bread (which doesn't need the extra gluten) -- but I don't think you can do it in your breadmaker (it takes about ten minutes and then 45 minutes cooking time if you do it by hand, though. Add on another 15 minutes if you don't have buttermilk and need to curdle some regular milk first).

I've done it in the bread maker with plain flour by mistake. It was slightly heavy / dense but edible as toast.

HettiePetal Mon 11-Nov-13 17:26:33

Panic over. Have found some brown bread flour in the back of the cupboard that I'd forgotten about.

But, for future ref could I use half plain/half bread then? Bread flour is quite pricey.

HettiePetal Mon 11-Nov-13 17:28:17

Thanks, Pachuti. I do keep meaning to have a go at soda bread. Might give that a go tomorrow.

Anyone ever made cornbread?

Could you make soda bread instead?

I usually use a mixture of bread flour and plain flour and it's fine. Have also used just plain (although I make by hand rather than machine).

<ignores Zing>

Nope, no experience of cornbread.

I often make bread with whatever happens to be lurking in the cupboard, flour-wise. Rye, spelt, plain wheat or any combination of the above. It all seems to work and gets eating fast enough for nobody to ever notice if anything is 'wrong' grin.
But then again I also use the same haphazard combination of random flours to make eggy pancakes, so maybe you should take my advice with some caution...

I do have a very nice, shiny new tin and paddle for my rather ancient bread maker <answers Zing afterall> I find the laptop makes rubbish bread.

ZingWantsGin Mon 11-Nov-13 19:23:57

<reports PD for ignoring me>

ZingWantsGin Mon 11-Nov-13 19:24:29

and too little too late

<sticks out tounge>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now