NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

What spices go in a chilli, other than chilli?

(29 Posts)
Atari Mon 11-Nov-13 15:34:52

I know i can taste something else when i have a good one but every recipie i have just specifies chilli/chillies

tb Sat 16-Nov-13 15:45:40

Cumin and ground dried bay leaves. Oh, and oregano as well, too.

lolalotta Wed 13-Nov-13 16:35:13

Second the dark chocolate...tastes amazing in chilli!!!! grin

VeryStressedMum Wed 13-Nov-13 11:59:38

The easiest chilli con carne is fry the onion and garlic, add the mince brown it. Add chilli powder, ground cumin and ground coriander, no exact quantities but add quite a bit or it won't taste of much. Then chuck in a tin of chopped tomatoes, beef stock cube and pepper and simmer for at least half an hour. At the end add salt to taste.

I use beer rather than hot water/stock. Yum!

lalalonglegs Tue 12-Nov-13 21:40:16

I use half tomatoes/half strong black coffee to stew the meat down in (as well as toasted cumin and oregano as flavourings). It's super-yummy - it takes a good 2-3 hours but I cook it in huge batches and freeze for future use.

MyBoilsAreFab Tue 12-Nov-13 20:56:58

I sometimes put some creamed coconut in as well as chilli, cumin, cinnamon and coriander. Tinned green lentils are nice in it too.

MuffCakes Tue 12-Nov-13 20:53:26

Yes mrs,

mrspremise Tue 12-Nov-13 20:47:01

when you say hot chocolate do you mean cocoa powder?

lisbapalea Mon 11-Nov-13 18:43:34

Chipotle chilli paste is amazing for a chilli. I use that as well as cumin, cinnamon and oregano, with fresh coriander to serve.

Hulababy Mon 11-Nov-13 18:41:00

I put in: ground cumin, ground coriander, crushed cardoman pods and ground cinnamon. I usually use sweet chilli sauce instead of chilli peppers.

Selks Mon 11-Nov-13 17:13:42

I use cumin, smoked paprika, cocoa powder, tomato puree, garlic, and cinnamon in mine.

MuffCakes Mon 11-Nov-13 17:11:40

slug I just spoon a spoonful or two of hot chocolate, works just as well.

Also stewing beef instead of mince beef. Cook it down for at least 3 hours mmmm know what I'm making this week now.

slug Mon 11-Nov-13 16:29:04

A square or two of dark, high cocoa content chocolate works wonders as well.

DH crumbles in a little black pudding. You can't taste it as such, but it adds a deep meaty flavour.

mrspremise Mon 11-Nov-13 16:19:48

Blended chilli powder, cumin and oregano.

Grennie Mon 11-Nov-13 15:51:27

I only use chilli, black pepper and tomato puree.

oversomeniagara Mon 11-Nov-13 15:47:56

I add smoked paprika and cayenne to the above list too. I also chop in a few anchovies (doesn't taste of fish but makes it really rich and meaty).

Atari Mon 11-Nov-13 15:47:15

That's brilliant, thank you

MuffCakes Mon 11-Nov-13 15:46:46

I use smoked paprika, cumin, cinnamon and cayenne pepper instead of chilli, think it tastes nicer and is hot like chilli powder but more flavour.

stillstandingatthebusstop Mon 11-Nov-13 15:43:31

I put chilli flakes, a bit of garlic (I think), ground ginger for warmth and fresh coriander in my chilli. (And salt and pepper of course). No recipe. It is delicious.

beachedwhalesarecool Mon 11-Nov-13 15:40:50

Smoked paprika is also good in a chilli.

I use Cumin, paprika, cinnamon and garlic and add chopped fresh coriander at the end.

Chilli as in Chilli con carne? I add cumin and thyme.

MissPlumBroughtALadder Mon 11-Nov-13 15:39:48

I made tempeh chilli last night - was delicious! I put in cumin, coriander, cinnamon, chilli, tamari, pepper, salt and a teaspoon of coconut sugar.
Other ingredients were onion, garlic, olive oil, tempeh, tinned tomatoes, tomato purée and red kidney beans.

DoTheStrand Mon 11-Nov-13 15:39:34

I second OldLady's recipe, it's delicious and makes the whole house smell amazing while it's cooking.

Leopoldina Mon 11-Nov-13 15:38:53

there you go, old lady is right- it's cinnamon not ginger.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now