Curry book recommendation please

(16 Posts)
poorbuthappy Fri 08-Nov-13 11:54:51

Looking for a great curry recipe book please for dh's birthday.

He loves cooking and eating curry, and he currently uses Rick Stein's India book quite a lot. He is a very good cook so nothing really phases him. He does like to make stuff up too, but also enjoys a really interesting recipe.

There are quite a few out there, so wondered if someone can recommend 1 so I don't get it drastically wrong!

Cheers

need2move Fri 08-Nov-13 11:59:43

There's an app on Apple store thats called sweet n spicy I think. Its brilliant
Im Pakistani and cook lots of curry and these are cooked by Indians I think.
They are in proper English and a few have videos too!

HyvaPaiva Fri 08-Nov-13 12:05:26

This is the best Indian cookbook we have and we have a large collection. It contains every Indian dish you imaginable, I think! They are very 'authentic' recipes. It's huge at 960 pages and cheap for that size of book. My DP got it as a gift and loves it. Highly recommend it.

schmalex Fri 08-Nov-13 12:22:40

I really like Curry by Vivek Singh. It's not just Indian, but Thai, Indonesian, all sorts. All the recipes I've made from it have been very good.

Pantah630 Fri 08-Nov-13 12:27:07

I had lots of success with the Hairy Bikers Curries book, they were all delicious but whether authentic enough for you I don't know. Didn't get on so well with Madhur Jaffreys Curry Bible.

cookupaparty Fri 08-Nov-13 14:09:41

Take a look at www.pukkapaki.com, Sumayya always has lovely recipes to fit the bill

ercoldesk Fri 08-Nov-13 14:13:02

I really like [http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anjums-New-Indian-Anjum-Anand/dp/1844007316/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1383919871&sr=8-6&keywords=anjum+anand Anjum Anand]]. I've also bought it for a curry loving but cooking averse friend, so now uses it a lot too. I think she has a few more out now.

ercoldesk Fri 08-Nov-13 14:13:27
aoife24 Fri 08-Nov-13 16:59:34

I think Madhur Jaffrey stands the test of time. Her recipes are a bit mild for my taste but easy enough to voom up.I quite like Anjum Anand too, she does a tele show and has a spin-off book.

mrspremise Fri 08-Nov-13 19:40:30

Miss Masala.That is all.

Madhur Jaffrey every time. Although I quite like just googling recipies these days and adpating them to suit.

I second the Anjum Anand books as we have one of her curries practically every week

LetItBeMe Sun 10-Nov-13 07:20:15

I've just bought Curries for the Slow Cooker.
I'm going to try one or two next week.

I think I saw the Vivek Singh one v cheap in Smith's y'day, iirc.

poorbuthappy Mon 11-Nov-13 19:18:52

Thanks all. A few to research on Amazon!

Another vote for the Hairy Bikers Great Curries, and also Madhur Jaffrey Curry Easy.

I have recently got the Rick Stein one and only used it a couple of times. Any notable successes that I should definitely try?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now