Is it possible to make pizza from scratch in <2 hours? For a kids' club!

(26 Posts)
futureforward Tue 05-Nov-13 23:37:37

I have volunteered to do a 2 hour kids' club in a few weeks and have been told that the kids want to make pizza from scratch.

However, I'm not sure you can make and prove dough in that time? PLUS actually make the pizza, then bake and cook it.

DH suggested we pre-make the dough, but then it will take only minutes for the kids to decorate and cook the pizza and we won't fill the two hours!

Any suggestions please? Am getting a little stressed out!!

Breadandwine Sat 16-Nov-13 00:33:37

Finally managed to post about the pizza session at Wellington Children's Centre on Wednesday:

nobreadisanisland.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/wellington-childrens-centre-nov-2013.html

With pics - although not of the children, obviously!

Breadandwine Tue 12-Nov-13 20:36:13

the kids want to make pizza from scratch.

Of course they do! And in two hours it's very manageable!

That's exactly what I'll be doing tomorrow morning - and it's what I did last year at this children's centre:

nobreadisanisland.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/wellington-childrens-centre.html

Only we've got just 90 minutes instead of two hours! smile

Some tips:
Plain old cheese and tomato topping is fine;
Use fresh yeast if you can get it - Sainsbugs will sell it to you for 60p for 200g (at the bakery counter). The bread rises faster, I find, than when using dried yeast;
Use a dessertspoon of yeast (teaspoon if using dried). (Both will dissolve quickly in the lukewarm water - fresh quicker than dried.) The more yeast you use, the quicker the bread will rise.
Place the rolled out pizzas on some baking parchment before adding topping smile;
Nick off a piece of dough to form an identifying initial or number. If you look carefully at the pizzas on my blog you'll see an initial on each of them;
Accept as much help as you can get - many hands make light work and all that;
Don't forget to allow for clearing up time afterwards;
Have some scissors to snip a piece of pizza off for the kids to sample - easier than a p/cutter.
Don't forget bags to take the rest home! grin

Please don't stress about it - you'll have a great time, and so will the kids! I'm never sure who gets more out of these sessions, me or the kids!

Feel free to come back to me if you need more info. I'd encourage anyone to get involved in teaching cookery to kids.

Best wishes, B&W

pumpkinkitty Mon 11-Nov-13 09:11:48

Sorry double post - stupid phone

pumpkinkitty Mon 11-Nov-13 09:10:33

We make a pizza dough that doesn't need proving (sp?).

For 2 adults and 1 toddler it's 350g of self raising flour, large lug of olive oil and a cup or water.

Mix it up then kneed it till it goes almost silky in texture.

Roll it out and stick your topping on. Making dough and chopping etc to eating it roughly 45mins.

It is a thin, crispy crust though.

pumpkinkitty Mon 11-Nov-13 09:09:44

We make a pizza dough that doesn't need proving (sp?).

For 2 adults and 1 toddler it's 350g of self raising flour, large lug of olive oil and a cup or water.

Mix it up then kneed it till it goes almost silky in texture.

Roll it out and stick your topping on. Making dough and chopping etc to eating it roughly 45mins.

It is a thin, crispy crust though.

SoupDragon Mon 11-Nov-13 09:06:30

Like others have said, my breadmaker does the dough in 45minutes. I shall be looking at the biscuit version though smile

Allalonenow Mon 11-Nov-13 09:00:47

Instead of the traditional yeast base, make a rich scone base, using eggs. Look on the BERO website for a recipe. It is very quick, does not need to be proved, the children will still have the fun of "rubbing in" etc.
It is similar to a deep pan pizza when cooked.

We make pizza often and I only prove the dough for twenty minutes or so.

I went to an event at DS's nursery and they didn't prove it at all, in fact they had a great way of rolling the dough and stuff out too it was fab

futureforward Mon 11-Nov-13 07:19:36

I am going to try these tonight and will report back! I think the biscuit one looks easiest so far as there's no food processor involved! smile

futureforward Wed 06-Nov-13 07:48:49

This is amazing, never thought I would wake to so many suggestions, thank you all so much!!

Will have a good read through and a look at the recipe suggestions, am confident there will be an answer in there somewhere! thanks

I do what Cogito does too.

No real need toprovepizza dough, just make the dough, roll it out, then get all the toppings cut and made, then build the pizza and bake itin a very hot oven for 20 minutes or less.

Bluebell99 Wed 06-Nov-13 07:16:48

The Panasonic does make pizza dough in 45 mins but if you leave it to proof it doubles in size in about an hour. I often just leave it in the bread maker keeping warm.

Snowlike Wed 06-Nov-13 07:12:38

I would not be too bothered about proving it, as Jenni says the Panasonic does it all in 45mins and the pizzas are good. Give the kids the opportunity to mix it all up and knead it - the more they play with it the better. Let it rest somewhere warm while you all clear up and then proceed. Having made campfire bread with cubs and beavers - they will be thrilled with the whole process and will eat every bit.

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 06-Nov-13 06:12:31

I bet my friend once I could make a pizza from scratch quicker than he could order one and get it delivered... I won.

8oz strong flour, preferably warmed in the microwave
slug olive oil
1 egg
1 sachet easy blend dried yeast
salt
enough water to make into a soft dough

Mix in a food processor with a dough hook for a minute or two, roll out to fit the pizza tray, put on the toppings and leave to one side while your oven gets to 220C. Then bake for about 15 minutes. Tip... don't go mad with the toppings or these will stop it rising so well

Meringue33 Wed 06-Nov-13 05:36:44

I found a brilliant recipe on t'internet for pizza dough, it's just 50% self raising flour and 50% full fat natural yogurt. Mix, knead for 5-8 minutes and hey presto. I pre-bake it for 8-10 mins before adding passata and toppings. It is lovely.

jennimoo Wed 06-Nov-13 05:26:48

'I'd' not 'a kid'

jennimoo Wed 06-Nov-13 05:26:03

My breadmaker cycle for pizza dough is only 45mins so if say it'd be fine. It's not the end of the world if pizza dough hasn't fully risen a kid do what a pp said and just let it prove while you prep the other ingredients.
Sounds like a fab idea for a kids club activity to me.

WilsonFrickett Tue 05-Nov-13 23:52:59

Ace!

lulahrose Tue 05-Nov-13 23:47:12

Wilson I did indeed!

WilsonFrickett Tue 05-Nov-13 23:45:18

lula did you get to say 'here's one I made earlier?' grin

lulahrose Tue 05-Nov-13 23:44:32

I run a Rainbows group, we meet for an hour and a quarter, we made pizzas a couple of weeks ago.
I pre-made dough then made a batch of dough with the girls, so they mixed and kneaded the dough. Whilst it was proving, they rolled out and decorated the pre made dough which we then cooked, by which time the new dough had started rising.
I think this is probably the only way you'll be able to make pizzas in 2 hours.

ceeveebee Tue 05-Nov-13 23:43:44

Maybe not quite from scratch but you could use a pizza base breadmix? I've used one once before from tesco and although can't remember how long it took, it was definitely less 2 hours!

You need a biscuit base pizza really easy to do, the kids can do all the mixing, and no proving!

WilsonFrickett Tue 05-Nov-13 23:43:38

sorry, it's this one brain fart - I knew there was a quicker one. This is just a thin flour and water paste, but I have eaten it and it does taste good.

WilsonFrickett Tue 05-Nov-13 23:42:12

Jamie says an hour to prove I'm not really a Jamie fan but a DF makes this pizza and says it's quick and easy. I suspect the key is to prove in a warm place and sort all the toppings out while it's proving, so the assembly bit is really quick.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now