Recipes to use up leftover porridge?

(15 Posts)
FloresCircumdati Sun 03-Nov-13 10:31:48

DH has a tendency to make enough porridge to feed us and the neighbours both and we have cold leftovers. It is a solid lump now. Don't want to throw it out for the birds, so wondering if you lovely people have any ways you use leftover porridge?

MollyMango Sun 03-Nov-13 12:28:52

You can thin it up by putting some warm water/milk in it

GinniferAndTonicFucker Sun 03-Nov-13 12:51:49

My mum incorporates leftover porridge into bread dough.

senua Sun 03-Nov-13 13:01:36

You could always insist that DH eats it the next day - that might cure his profligacy!

I have a pudding recipe that calls itself Spiced Baked Porridge. Throw in
cinnamon & nutmeg
nuts (eg almond, hazelnut)
raisins
pear (peeled, cored, cut into chunks)
double cream.

Cook in oven gas 4, sprinkle with demerara sugar and finish under grill.
Nice flavours but a bit stodgy.

FloresCircumdati Sun 03-Nov-13 18:22:12

Dd has an eating disorder. I don't want to be restricting DH on what he does because of it. Hard to explain really. Dd was stressing that he had made more than was needed, she couldnt eat it but didnt want it to go to waste. I said I'd use it up somehow.

MadgeBishop Sun 03-Nov-13 18:24:45

I would add more milk and warm it up for breakfast tomorrow.

HyvaPaiva Sun 03-Nov-13 18:31:35

Could you turn it into porridge bars by adding things like raisins or chocolate chips and then baking it and cutting into slices?

MuffCakes Sun 03-Nov-13 18:34:32

I always make more then needed, keeps a few days in the fridge.

You could add melted butter and golden syrup and bake it, like a flapjack

dingit Sun 03-Nov-13 18:36:08

Yep, it's called The Bin

FloresCircumdati Sun 03-Nov-13 18:50:40

dingit grin I'd at least put it out for the birds!

The diffictulty is, dd is the only one of the family who should be eating more, and she is least likely to eat things like dried fruit, anything with goldwn syrup in it etc. Had quite a few dishes thrown on the floor lately.

If I add eggs and flour and baking powder, and bake it, could I make it into a cake?

Vagolajahooli Wed 06-Nov-13 09:15:02

We always make way too much so we pop it in the fridge and give to them for pudding (yes we have made them believe that porridge and honey is a legitimate pudding, they have slept through the night since they were old enough to eat porridge and honey). Just warm it up with a little milk.

Best of luck with your DD, it must be hard, we have a "selective" eater and that is hard enough, though he will eat. I can imagine how difficult it is for you.

hopeitsright Fri 08-Nov-13 23:54:19

sometimes I add salt and a little curry powder to my porridge instead of sugar and milk.
Some curry leaves and mustard seeds spluttered in a tiny bit of oil would be nice. A few pieces of Quorn wouldn't come amiss.

BumPop Sat 09-Nov-13 00:11:53

Honesty I went through a waste nothing phase, and tried to make leftover porridge into cakes, museli bars, etc. All attempts were awful.

I think that encouraging your dd to eat decent quantities of food she likes is better than worrying about wasting (cheap) leftovers.

That sounds harsh, it wasn't meant to. I have eating issues and poverty issues and in the big scheme of it, finally realized leftover porridge should go in the food waste bin. And this is from someone that tried roasted carrot peel. (gonna have to name change now aren't I hmm ) ?

whendidyoulast Sat 09-Nov-13 19:12:44

DH just needs to get better at measuring. I've worked out exactly how many oats I need to put in a bowl by sight and then whack in the microwave for 2 minutes per bowl. He might need to measure a quarter of a cup or something for each person and then tip into the pan.

Also worth experimenting with different ingredients. I like blueberries or apple and cinnamon and walnuts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now