Cookery Book Club November - River Cottage Fish (or Baking book if you dislike Fish) and any Preserve Cook Book of your choosing.

(71 Posts)
Pantah630 Wed 30-Oct-13 20:13:57

New thread for November folks hope we'll get a few more of you back now Winters drawing in grin

River Cottage Fish, self explanatory but if you dislike fish, I did until I turned 40 bizarrely, feel free to pick a Baking book or other.

I have RC Handbook on Jams and Preserves and another couple I can't recall titles of, there are also lots of recipes online. Can we share the good ones please. I've made a start with some Brandied Peaches and will be trying Nigellas Spiced Peaches this weekend if I can find some more.

Pantah630 Wed 27-Nov-13 17:37:18

December thread here

My preserved lemons are looking good, couldn't believe how much juice they gave up just from sitting in the jar with salt for a week.

Cocochops Fri 22-Nov-13 23:44:13

Nigellas arrived! Might order some kilner jars for chutney making

I made the fried fish (sea bass) with pea puree tonight. It was delicious. Complimented beautifully by the peas and I did roast new potatoes alongside. Very happy I tried it and will definitely make it again. Went down a treat.

Also excited for December here and planning nigella pudding this Sunday, to keep till Christmas. Oh, It's never too early for mince pieswink .

Pantah630 Fri 22-Nov-13 12:20:00

Lol, my DB lives in Southwark, always happy to detour to an Ikea grin

ScienceRocks Fri 22-Nov-13 09:56:00

I feel a branch of cookbook club forming...

schmalex Fri 22-Nov-13 08:25:59

I still haven't managed to do anything from RC fish but I made Dan Lepard's weetabix muffins the other day and they went down a treat. My 20-mo DC now shouts for CAKE! at every opportunity!

I'm in Surrey now but think I'm quite close to the same Ikea.

Pantah630 Fri 22-Nov-13 07:31:00

^^ and Dorset grin

coco hijacking not a problem but if you'd like to start the December thread early that's ok too. Contemplating making a pud on Sunday, I normally do a James Martin one from Good Food mag a few years ago. Any recommendations for a Nigella or Delia one? I like light and fruity, not dark and dense.

glorious Thu 21-Nov-13 22:03:05

SE London is obviously a tasty place to live! I seem to remember that we have a couple in the same town in Devon too. A mass ikea meet sounds fun smile

coco I don't mind where you post, and it is nearly stir up Sunday so Christmas food is therefore allowed anyway grin

Cocochops Thu 21-Nov-13 19:20:55

Also in SE London here too!
Is everyone going to get annoyed if I start talking December recipes or shall I start a new thread? I know it's early just want to start my Xmas planning early. So any recommendations from Nigella? I haven't got the book yet but that chutney sounds good
<sorry for hijacking Nov thread>

ELR Thu 21-Nov-13 18:51:26

glorious and science I live near you guys too perhaps we should all meet up for an ikea horsedog!
Been unwell with labyrinthitis so not been doing much in the way of cooking new stuff just been churning out my trusted fave recipes.
I did make another batch of nigella's beet root, apple and ginger chutney and also did her preserved peaches too ready for scoffing at Christmas.

Just a bit of feedback on the banana fudge cookies, they were ok but there was just something about them that I wasn't quite sure about.

science the krantz cakes are fab aren't they? Think I may have to make done this weekend now!

ScienceRocks Wed 20-Nov-13 18:19:50

Ooh, I have nigella Christmas, which I am super excited about using grin

ScienceRocks Wed 20-Nov-13 18:19:26

Made the hairy bikers apple pie and fish pie last night. Both fantastic family fodder smile

glorious Wed 20-Nov-13 17:36:44

Mmm Christmas pudding smile My Nigella Christmas is on order from the library. The only Christmas book I have is a Good Food one so that'll be my other choice.

I need to get preserving for this month first.

schmalex Wed 20-Nov-13 06:20:15

I'm making Nigella's Christmas pud (with PX sherry) this weekend. Sainsbo's were all out of currants though - calamity!

Cocochops Wed 20-Nov-13 00:24:23

Yep great idea just ordered Nigella so Nigella and Delia for me. Is it too early for mince pies??!!

glorious Tue 19-Nov-13 08:06:54

yes good idea pantah

Pantah630 Mon 18-Nov-13 20:38:32

Nigella Christmas is one but can't remember if we decided on the other. May be a good idea to have Nigella and another Christmas book you already own to save some money all round grin

Cocochops Mon 18-Nov-13 19:27:47

Hi just checking in I have been absent since EGOR oops! I am keen to get back in for December though as its the first year we are going to have it at home. So which books are we doing? I want to get my amazon order in early. I picked up Delia Xmas from a charity shop a few weeks ago and have made her Xmas cake. Can't wait to start making other Xmas bits and pieces.

Pantah630 Sun 17-Nov-13 19:22:18

Thanks science will have a go soon.

ScienceRocks Sun 17-Nov-13 15:58:11

Pantah, the pitta recipe is 250g strong white flour, 7g yeast, 5g salt, splash of olive oil, then mix to a soft dough with around 160ml water. Knead with olive oil until smooth. Put in an oiled bowl, cover either cling film and leave to double in size (takes about an hour). Knock back, and divide into about six pieces. Roll to about 0.5cm thick, place on greaseproof paper lined baking trays and bake at 200C fan oven for five to eight minutes, until they have puffed up and gone a little brown. Wrap in a tea towel so they don't go hard.

I have to say that the cakes were fantastic. I've just had a slice and it is sensational.

glorious Sun 17-Nov-13 15:01:21

Yum sounds like a great success! smile

Pantah630 Sun 17-Nov-13 12:11:09

Sounds yummy, I'm definitely trying the butternut recipe and possibly the pittas cooking and drinking never works for me, the last time I tried, I almost set fire to the kitchen while frying some crispy squid for friends. Would you be able to copy the recipe for pittas please. I'm trying, and failing, to cut back on recipe book buying.

ScienceRocks Sun 17-Nov-13 11:21:18

Pantah, the meal was great, thanks. The lamb was fabulous, the butternut squash dish was awesome, the aubergine dish very good (though I didn't add as many onions as he says, because it looked ludicrous, and I don't think it was any worse for it), the rice was lovely (again, I cut the onion quantity, and it was still good) and the chocolate krantz cakes were amazing (and not as much hassle as he says). I did a simple salad of tomatoes, cucumber, spring onions and parsley dressed with sumac to go alongside, and a cucumber and mint dip, which worked particularly well with the lamb.

My pittas weren't quite as good as normal, but I think I rolled them too thin because I was talking and drinking wine while doing them!

Glorious didn't get any, but we are now in touch smile

Pantah630 Sun 17-Nov-13 10:32:13

Mosey?? Nosey, d'oh!

Pantah630 Sun 17-Nov-13 10:31:49

science how was your meal? And did glorious get some? <mosey> grin

I have 6 lemons macerating in salt for my Jerusalem preserved lemons. Should be ready for Christmas, I'm seeing a big bowl of couscous and another shawarma for Boxing Day after a nice, long walk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now