Can you freeze garlic cloves?

(11 Posts)
ItsTheOnlyWayToLIve Wed 30-Oct-13 11:02:19

Bought a pack of 4 from Asda this morning for slow cooker recipes, and will not be using them all at once.

I have lazy garlic too, but some recipes state garlic cloves, and I would rather use the correct type IYSWIM, but I'm not sure how long they last in the fridge/veg rackhmm

Please help smile

I keep garlic in the fridge and it keeps ages. If you wrap it in kitchen roll it won't get moist. I usually keep in the door at the top.

I googled says it can lose some of it's flavour and texture when frozen.

I know you can keep whole cloves in oil for eons.

YDdraigGoch Wed 30-Oct-13 11:10:07

No need to freeze. As others have said, will keep for years!

Scrap the oil storage, sounds dangerous! shock

dontsqueezetheteabag Wed 30-Oct-13 11:10:24

I always have loads of it and it lasts for ages.

If i were putting them in the freezer, I'd peel them and blanche them for 10 seconds first. I do this with herbs and spinnach and they keep in the freezer AND don't loose their taste.

ItsTheOnlyWayToLIve Wed 30-Oct-13 11:12:31

Ok thanks all, I'll keep them in the fridge smile

WilsonFrickett Wed 30-Oct-13 11:22:07

If you're going to go to the bother of freezing it I would peel and chop it first, then freeze it in little portions. the one time I did it I loved taking the individual portions out of the freezer then dropping them into the pan, felt like a proper domestic goddess!

If you keep them in the fridge they do keep for ages but can sprout, just cut them in half and take out the green sprouty bit and they'll still be fine to use.

LittleTulip Wed 30-Oct-13 11:27:35

I keep my in a garlic keeper.

Lasts for ages and ages with no sprouting

ItsTheOnlyWayToLIve Wed 30-Oct-13 14:19:29

Ooh, a garlic keeper! Think I might invest one of them then, better than sprouting smile Great idea thanks.

Thabks to all who've replied smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now